Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Surround Sound

Surround Sound Talk about everything from 5.1 to 7.1 to Dolby True HD and beyond.

View Poll Results: What is the most impressive 5.1 movie soundtrack?
Terminator 3 7 30.43%
Saving Private Ryan 9 39.13%
Fight Club 1 4.35%
Other (write in) 6 26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2007   #7

Default Re: Poll: Best motion picture Surround Soundtrack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Using DTS, which I love, its hard to beat "Jurassic Park" Whether you like this film or not, the sound of the T - Rex footsteps, roar, growl of the Raptors, it is awesome!!
I'm also gonna cast a write-in vote for Jurassic Park.

The first time I demonstrated that 5.1 DVD in a home living room, the paintings started rattling on the wall and the dishes started shaking in the china cabinet, as T-Rex stomped his foot. And several people in the room literally screamed, because it felt like the dinosaur was right in the room with us!

Many people have never even thought about this... but the truth is that a well-designed home theater can actually seem more realistic than a movie theater... simply because the shakes and rattles inside the house, make the impact scenes even more believable than when we're inside the rock-solid movie theaters.

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #8

Jurassic Park 3; and it has EX/ES sound to boot. Very nicely balanced surround track.
kelsci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #9

Jeez, what's with all the newer names? Like a good soundtrack hadn't happened since prior to the new century? Haha, well, call me old (all of 28), but I'm going with 2001: A Space Odyssey (Also Sprach Zarathustra rocks), or Platoon (Barber's Adaggio for Strings), I really liked the musical score on the soundtrack for The Sum of all Fears (the operatic one). I think we're confusing the soundtrack with the sound effects here...is the question about the music contained w/in said movie, or all sounds w/in said movie?

Anyway, those are my picks for favorite sound tracks.

Morne
Mornelithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornelithe View Post
I think we're confusing the soundtrack with the sound effects here...is the question about the music contained w/in said movie, or all sounds w/in said movie?
The question is about "surround sound"!

* The spatial separation between the 5 main speakers
* The clarity and believability of the sound effects.
* The added value of the dedicated sub-woofer track
* The overall feeling of being placed "inside" the soundfield

That is why this Poll was placed in the Surround Sound section of this Forum.

OK for you?

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #11

I had say Terminator 3 Rise of the Machines, its usage of sound and atmosphere is tremendous throughout the film. Narration is good also in the opening with clear easy to understand dialogue that will soon be rudely awakened by a nuclear missile impacting above ground zero.

The use of panning sound effects creates a believable realism when the hovering flying thingy is flying around inside the building. Since the last paragraph, Iíve decided to play the film at a softer level as Iíve heard it too many times along with Saving Private Ryan and Fight Club plus a few hundred more.

The system is reasonable calibrated with JBL all around the fronts are all matched JBL Control 5 with a DCX2496 (loudspeaker management system) for the fronts.

Timbre matching down the sidewalls JBL surrounds Control 1 though to the centre back and an array covering the ceiling for extra warmth and dimension.

Chapter 7 when Kate, answers the door with a slight buzzing to the left and partly centre with the DCX its more to the left then pans over to the centre. ďItís Hercules.Ē This goes nuts when the Terminator turns up only to start a shooting frenzy and you know its going to get louder along with more complex surround ricocheting off walls bullets whizzing though the air and small terminal nuclear explosion turning the night into a great action adventure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg terminator 3 1.JPG (9.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg terminator 3 2.JPG (18.3 KB, 5 views)
JBL1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007   #12

The scene in Predator when they just blast the **** out the jungle with machine guns is amazing in DTS.
leisuresuitlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
51, calibrate, commander, david, delgrosso, impressive, la, master, movie, scene, show, sound, soundtrack, soundtracks, surround, system, track