Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Surround Sound

Surround Sound Talk about everything from 5.1 to 7.1 to Dolby True HD and beyond.

Old 09-24-2008   #1

Smile mismatching speakers

Just getting sarted in surround so I'm recycling my old stereo gear. I've been buying DVD's of live concerts and so far stereo is all I get untill I buy some more speakers. The 2 I have are vintage VOTT: big, ugly, difficult to find 2 or 3 more. How heavily weighted are 5.1 soundtracks in general. I mean do all 5 speakers have to be able to produce the same sound pressure or is it a good idea to to spend on the fronts and save on the rears?
ray134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008   #2

Default Re: mismatching speakers

I would have to say that matching speakers is very important and at least matching tonal quality and efficiency at minimum. I have a pair of Altec Voice Of The Theater A-7's as well and I love them, even though they are huge. I do not have the room to have all A-7's so I have normal speakers paired up with them, (Polk CS-100 Center and Advent Marbles for the rear). I play plenty of 2 channel sources through the Altecs, but I also play 5.1 sources through the Altecs as well. I would keep those Altec's VOTT's and pair them up with some Klipsch speakers in a 5.1 or 7.1 configuration. I would also get a nice subwoofer to go with the Altec's since they are not crossed over for real low bass. If you want some alternatives speakers to run with your Altec speakers to keep that large live sound, try multiple Klipsch Heresy lll's that would go well with the Altec's IMHO.

Link for Klipsch:
http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/heresy-iii.aspx

Otherwise you will want something that is as efficient as the Altecs or sale them off and get a complete matching group of speakers with a really good subwoofer if you are going to listen to alot of multi-channel movies.

HD-DVD & Blu-ray Owner

DTS-HD Master Audio & Uncompressed PCM Supporter
Dave Moritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #3

I'm tuning 5.1 studios for the guys mixing this stuff so here is what the pros are hoping you'll have in your home. 5 of the same speaker L/C/R/LS/RS. If not, at least the L/C/R the same and then a speaker that has a similar frequency response for the surrounds. The pro recommendation for set up is to have the L/R at 60 degrees and the surrounds at 120 degrees. No dipoles or bipoles! With that in mind, you should know that most music mixers shy away from putting much of anything into the LFE. And about half of them don't put a lot into the center either. They don't want you turning off all of the other speakers and hearing all the edits, tuning and compression on the lead vocal.
Bob Hodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #4

Bob,

I understand what you are saying, but do you really think that the average guy would really turn off his speakers for those reasons? Once he has it setup properly the first time, I would think most people would be happy with that, and just enjoy themselves.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #5

Tell me about it. I didn't say these guys aren't paranoid.
Bob Hodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
center, comproductsdetailsheresy, cs100, front, live, matching, mis, mismatched, mismatching, polk, sound, speaker, speakers, subwoofers, surround, wwwklipsch