Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Surround Sound

Surround Sound Talk about everything from 5.1 to 7.1 to Dolby True HD and beyond.

Old 06-07-2008   #1

Default Is DTS Master Cinema worth the investment

KennyT and I have been discussing the $$$ and effort it takes to get DTS Master Cinema and Dolby True HD into your system and wondering if its worth it at this point.

Are you willing to invest in a Denon AV preamp or a Levinson No. 502 or a Integra preamp to get HDMI 1.3 to make these surround features work?

Or is DTS good enough for you as an alternate audio format?

If music was on Blu-ray in DTS master cinema or True HD - this would be an easy YES for me but the labels only seem to sell downloads.

Do you think now is the time to make the investment?

j
Old 06-07-2008   #2

Default Re: Is DTS Master Cinema worth the investment

I can honestly say once you start listening to the new codecs, DD and DTS sound like MP3.

If you have a Blu-ray or HD DVD player (and I know you have both) it is needed, I'd say sooner than later.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #3

Kenny is right. It is worth it.

As far as cost to get started...I upgraded my system with the Onkyo SR-TX805 and the Panasonic DMP-BD30 at a modest cost of $1,400. You can easily spend more, but after listening to Denon and Yamaha AVRs at a higher price point and reading reviews of both AVRs and Blue Ray players, the modest cost option made good sense for me.

My comments represent only my opinion and are not intended to stir the rath of higher end audio/videophiles. For the regular working man who must consider cost into the desicion process, the components I bought bring out the "pop" and "Wow" of Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio without putting too much of a bite into the bank account.

Is it worth it to upgrade now? You bet.
shainj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #4

I still stand by my original thoughts that we should buy something that does them for now and see what comes down the pike, maybe we'll have some better options by CEDIA....

That's what I did, not sure if it is right, but I'm there so....
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #5

I know its unlike me but I am likely to wait until CEDIA. The Levinson is tempting, i must say but its also REALLY expensive.
Old 06-08-2008   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I can honestly say once you start listening to the new codecs, DD and DTS sound like MP3.

If you have a Blu-ray or HD DVD player (and I know you have both) it is needed, I'd say sooner than later.
I agree, that's the reason I waited 18 months to upgrade my old Sony ES receiver to my new Denon, there is no reason to get a receiver that is not HDMI 1.3 & can decode all the new formats.

Blu-Ray I believe has improved the audio more than the video & it is a big difference.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, cost, decoding, dts, dtshd, dtsmaster, hd, internal, investment, invests, it, master, movie, theatre, true, upgrade, worth