Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Surround Sound

Surround Sound Talk about everything from 5.1 to 7.1 to Dolby True HD and beyond.

Old 06-08-2008   #7

Default Re: Is DTS Master Cinema worth the investment

Yes, it's worth it - you really are missing out. A player that can decode the new codecs and output MCPCM and a receiver or pre/pro that can decode MCPCM is really all you need. The core DTS and DD are just not good enough anymore.

If you are waiting for music on BR, then I'm sure it will probably be a while until all your favorite albums are available on Blu-Ray with Hi-Rz audio, if ever.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #8

The investment is worth it, but, what is unfortunate, and hopefully this will change much sooner, than much later, you have a small choice of products to choose from that are fully loaded with the proper codecs.

Right now, the Integra and Denon separates are the two proven winners right now. Fine, but not good enough. Others have to catch up, and catch fast and in hurry. Or, we`ll have what we had during the format war, plenty of hardware, but very little software.
Now we have, a few units to connect, with many people with Blu-Ray players and discs they want to play, listen, and watch correctly!! With the right codecs and connections.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #9

Hello All

I hope you don’t mind me jumping in here with my own question relating to the subject matter?

My Kit
Yamaha AX1 Amplifier
MKTHXSS150 7.1 speakers
Pioneer DVD player
Panasonic LCD projector

I have just bought a Sony BDPS300 Blu-ray player for £99 (approx $220) brand new from the Sony centre in the UK. (I know it doesn’t cater for HD audio but it was very cheap)
I would like to know what I have to change to take advantage of DTS master HD and the Dolby equivalent.

Thanks again

Martin

South Wales UK
Welshraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #10
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
I agree, that's the reason I waited 18 months to upgrade my old Sony ES receiver to my new Denon, there is no reason to get a receiver that is not HDMI 1.3 & can decode all the new formats. Blu-Ray I believe has improved the audio more than the video & it is a big difference.
I could not agree more, I am enjoying 1080p with JVC DLA RS2 and Sony blu Ray player but am waiting for my new pre/pro to get DTS-HD Master Audio and DD true HD now if Classé could hurry up and release the SSP-800 with the new codec that would be nice!
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #11

What I've noticed in the new codecs is that there is a lot more information in the surrounds and all channels over all exhibit more full range audio. I attribute that to lossy codecs 640Kbps (DD) or 1.5mbps (DTS) limit and the compression or omission they use to meet that limitation.

As far as whether to upgrade or not. It would all depend on the quality of your speakers and gear over all. If you have a medium to large theater room with some nice speakers it would be well worth it. If you have small room setup with small speakers and a weak sub then it really doesn't make much of a difference. You may still upgrade your player for better picture though.
MatrixDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixDweller View Post
As far as whether to upgrade or not. It would all depend on the quality of your speakers and gear over all. If you have a medium to large theater room with some nice speakers it would be well worth it. If you have small room setup with small speakers and a weak sub then it really doesn't make much of a difference. You may still upgrade your player for better picture though.
I would strongly disagree.

In my bedroom system, which is made up of a Marantz 8002 receiver and Kef 5005.2 speakers (total for the 5.1 system and receiver is ~$3,000 street) the difference between the new uncompressed codecs and DD and DTS are huge!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, cost, decoding, dts, dtshd, dtsmaster, hd, internal, investment, invests, it, master, movie, theatre, true, upgrade, worth