Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Surround Sound (http://www.avrev.com/forum/surround-sound-30/)
-   -   is 2.1 good enough for the Costco crowd? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/surround-sound/1472-2-1-good-enough-costco-crowd.html)

JerryDelColliano 01-19-2008 10:10 AM

is 2.1 good enough for the Costco crowd?

With flat HDTVs costing less than $1000 for a great HDTV today - will Costco and Wal-mart sink their teeth into the world of surround sound and make it for the masses?

Say what you want about Bose speakers as an audio enthusiast (God knows I have over the years) but you MUST admit the idea of a "3-2-1" system makes a LOT more sense than a 5.1 system for the average consumer.

My question is - can 5.1 or 7.1 surround make it in a world where the HDTV drives the sale or is 2.1 or "sound bar" type audio systems with a little subwoofer going to be more the norm?

The Yamaha system is VERY good and has all sorts of inputs, processing and can output pretty good sound.

With no major label support for surround sound - can audio enthusiasts push 5.1 for movie soundtracks only?

what say you on this topic?

Lotus 01-22-2008 10:45 AM

Re: is 2.1 good enough for the Costco crowd?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano (Post 9703)
With flat HDTVs costing less than $1000 for a great HDTV today - will Costco and Wal-mart sink their teeth into the world of surround sound and make it for the masses?

Say what you want about Bose speakers as an audio enthusiast (God knows I have over the years) but you MUST admit the idea of a "3-2-1" system makes a LOT more sense than a 5.1 system for the average consumer.

My question is - can 5.1 or 7.1 surround make it in a world where the HDTV drives the sale or is 2.1 or "sound bar" type audio systems with a little subwoofer going to be more the norm?

The Yamaha system is VERY good and has all sorts of inputs, processing and can output pretty good sound.

With no major label support for surround sound - can audio enthusiasts push 5.1 for movie soundtracks only?

what say you on this topic?

CostCo, Wal-Mart, and Sam's Club all sell 5.1 systems that are cheap, cheap, cheap. I believe they do a good job of selling the $300 to $500 HTiBs at the big box warehouses.

Soundbars are still a little expensive aren't they? To really get the common consumer of those places to purchase you need an aggressive price point. I'd guess that would be around $300?

deacongreg 01-24-2008 11:53 AM

Yes, I believe and say the 5.1 system will continue to thrive. Even the mainstream consumers get excited when watching and hear your good 5.1 system with the subwoofer. I think that helps drive the HDTV purchase. Knowing that its an entire package.

Plus, here anyway, those soundbars are not pushed and displayed in real view. From what I can see. Maybe for a den, kids room, where you are looking to say a little money, them I see the Bose 3-2-1 system in play. But, not in the large living or family room. And not in the basement either.

My 2 cents.

JerryDelColliano 01-31-2008 09:08 PM

Bose is the KING of marketing AV.

Their 3-2-1 might sound like crap (I honestly don't know) but the model number alone is SHEER GENIUS!!!!

deacongreg 02-06-2008 02:58 PM

No argument there at all Jerry on their marketing strategy. I mean, they are a household name, like Xerox. Even our moms know the name Bose!!!