Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Surround Sound (http://www.avrev.com/forum/surround-sound-30/)
-   -   Music in surround leaving people wanting more? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/surround-sound/1443-music-surround-leaving-people-wanting-more.html)

JerryDelColliano 01-13-2008 11:42 AM

Music in surround leaving people wanting more?

With the absolute lack of music in surround being sold by the major record labels - is DTS Master and Dolby True Logic enough for you to invest in more surround sound?

What would it take for you to get excited about music in surround again?

kennyt 01-13-2008 01:13 PM

Re: Music in surround leaving people wanting more?

Software!

Sony BMG tried to start pushing MC Audio with some Blu-ray titles, but they are very limited. The Dave Mathews one must have been on at almost every HT demo for the last year, but they would need all kinds of titles for it to take off!

deacongreg 01-14-2008 01:09 PM

I think Jerry you know the answer to this. We here, on the forum, I`m going to assume, ARE excited. But, in order for others to become excited, and us get even more excited, we need support. Be it, BMG, or whoever, we need titles and a wide variety of them in different genres.

luke 01-15-2008 02:30 PM

I think that the public is so confused and bored and tired with most of it . The last go-round dvd-a v. dts v. sacd v. dual disc etc on and on it goes. Like i have said before , there are alot of people making money selling audio junk and sound to a very uneducated public . So why would the industry even want to try to make something right. They know people will buy it or buy into it . Its like downloaded bad quality itunes trash. i was glad to see the Stones and Bob Dylan , The Band , just to name a few that got good re-releases in DVD-A or SACD , 5.1 sound. One of the other problems going on now is , if the public is so uneducated on Surround Sound . What is going to be the bolt of lightning to wake them up ? Rip the ipod/SonyWalkman ( same thing ) out of their iphone grabbing hands? Explain to them what all those plugs in the back of those HDTVs and computers are really for ? BROADCAST THE SUPERBOWL IN THE SURROUND CHANNELS ONLY AND THE CENTER CHANNEL IN SOME MAGIC TONGUE THAT NO ONE REALLY KNOWS IN THE WORLD. AND RUN A DISCLAIMER AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN , " THIS BROADCAST IS ONLY IN 5.1 OR MORE CHANNELS ". I HEARD IT MIGHT BE TIME FOR MORE BEATLES ALBUMS IN SURRUOND , THAT ALWAYS GETS MY INTEREST UP . LUKE

JerryDelColliano 01-15-2008 02:33 PM

Good point about confusion

I agree with you on the confusion front as it took 9 cables to hook up a DVD-Audio or SACD player which was a joke. The player was 10x more expensive than a mainstream machine and was a total pain to hook up, needed $2,000 (min) of extra gear and there were basically no meaningful titles to lure people in.

Now with Blu-ray picking up steam and HDMI passing uncompressed audio AND video on one cable - would you consider looking at buying albums again on BR if they were high res, with cool video goodies and easy to play back in stereo OR surround in high res?

antennahead 01-15-2008 07:48 PM

Re: Good point about confusion

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano (Post 9461)
I agree with you on the confusion front as it took 9 cables to hook up a DVD-Audio or SACD player which was a joke. The player was 10x more expensive than a mainstream machine and was a total pain to hook up, needed $2,000 (min) of extra gear and there were basically no meaningful titles to lure people in.

Now with Blu-ray picking up steam and HDMI passing uncompressed audio AND video on one cable - would you consider looking at buying albums again on BR if they were high res, with cool video goodies and easy to play back in stereo OR surround in high res?

Unfortunately the masses "think" MP3 is good quality, and it seems everyone is into the convenience of downloads and ripping. Most of these types think my modest red book system, with a perpetual technologies upsampler into an Anthem pre/pro and good amps and speakers is "king of the hill". As much as I would love a great unified hi rez audio format to catch on and deliver mass variety of titles, I just don't think it will ever happen.

I read your BlueRay/HD DVD format war post Jerry and I agree with you. With HD movie downloads just around the corner, they are fighting a battle on numerous fronts. The fact that the public will gravitate to this delivery channel, only reinforces the convenience factor. How about a Hi rez audio downloadable product? Never happen, the music labels lost their opportunity on this one in the infancy with their closed minded approach, reminds me of the initial attitude of the studios to the Betamax "smiles".

I'd love a high end audio product to catch on and become the universallly accepted standard, resulting in a wealth of available titles....... just don't see it happening. Wish me wrong!!!

John