Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Surround Sound (http://www.avrev.com/forum/surround-sound-30/)
-   -   Matching Paradigms - Sound Continuity (http://www.avrev.com/forum/surround-sound/1316-matching-paradigms-sound-continuity.html)

enormo 12-20-2007 11:38 AM

Matching Paradigms - Sound Continuity

I am looking at getting speakers for a 5.1 system. I was originally going to get Pardigm Atom fronts with the other recommended components (Monitor Series... e.g. CC-190's etc). However, I was looking at the reviews of the Studio 20's and realized that I could probably afford these.

My one concern is this: I do more movie watching than I do serious music listening. I'm worried that the Studio 20s will not integrate well with the sound of the lower end surround sound components. I'm a huge believer in continuity in film. Continuity breeds immersion.

Am I better off with the Atoms vs. the Studio 20s for a wholistic experience?

Happy Hollidays!!!

BTW... I'm going to be running an Onkyo 805

pocketman 12-20-2007 07:37 PM

Re: Matching Paradigms - Sound Continuity

I would go with the higher end front end (Studio 20s across the front) and atoms for the rear. The sound quality of the rears are not as important as the front as most of the listening pleasure is at the front. On that note it is very important to have the left, right and center to be sonically the same.

I personally do not not have a center channel as I still have not found a setup where I am happy with the front sound field. Ideal is to have three identical speakers up front, at the same elevation, equal distance from the listening position.

prerich 12-20-2007 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enormo (Post 7741)
I am looking at getting speakers for a 5.1 system. I was originally going to get Pardigm Atom fronts with the other recommended components (Monitor Series... e.g. CC-190's etc). However, I was looking at the reviews of the Studio 20's and realized that I could probably afford these.

My one concern is this: I do more movie watching than I do serious music listening. I'm worried that the Studio 20s will not integrate well with the sound of the lower end surround sound components. I'm a huge believer in continuity in film. Continuity breeds immersion.

Am I better off with the Atoms vs. the Studio 20s for a wholistic experience?

Happy Hollidays!!!

BTW... I'm going to be running an Onkyo 805

If you can afford the Studio 20's - Get three across the front use your Atoms for the rear. I personally don't like horizontal oriented center channels. Three identical speakers up front gives a "realness" to the pans and the soundstage (imo). Make sure you get a decent sub if you are using the 20's or atoms up front. Paradigm makes plenty of excellent subs. I have run the 20's before with middle end Denon equipment with no problem - they seem to like each other. You should have no problem with the Onkyo.

jimmydaves 12-27-2007 11:48 PM

Home Theater Magazine gave one of their highest ratings to a surround sound setup consisting of five Studio 20's and a sub.