Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Subwoofers How low can you go? Discuss everything from setup to placement to EQ and beyond.

Old 12-07-2007   #13

Default Re: Defintive Technolgy TRINITY SUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
FWIW I have considered the Trinity sub, and m,ight get one to go with my Mythos ST's.

Can you buy a better subwoofer? Likely yes.

Can you get one close to as good for the $$? I highly doubt it!
Have you heard of the $1,600 Epik Conquest, which was recently independently tested by Tom Nousaine?

At 2 meters in a 7,500 cubic feet room, the Conquest produced bass down to 12.5Hz @ 103.9dB w/ 3.4% distortion. This means it could easily produce 10Hz @ 104dB & @ 2 meters in a 3,500 cf room.

According to Epik, it would take TWO of the $15,000 Velodyne DD-1812 subs to produce the same amount of bass @ 20Hz as the Conquest! That's $30,000 vs $1,600!

It would take FIVE of the $10,000 Genelec HTS6 subs to produce the same amount of bass @ 16Hz as the Conquest! That's $50,000 vs $1,600!
AcuDefTechGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007   #14

Talking Re: Defintive Technolgy TRINITY SUB

Well, boys, I took the spunge and bought the Trinity today.
Old 12-07-2007   #15

Awesome. Let us know how you like it because Im in the market for a new sub too. Im on the fence between the Revel, an RBH and a Sunfire and I hadn't even thought about the Def Tech.
Neil Peart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Peart View Post
Awesome. Let us know how you like it because Im in the market for a new sub too. Im on the fence between the Revel, an RBH and a Sunfire and I hadn't even thought about the Def Tech.
I sure will let you guys know all about it! I should have it by next Tuesday or Wed.
Old 12-17-2007   #17

I looked into getting one but I already have enough bass for my room, that thing is HUGE!!!!!

18"x18"x31" and able to put out something like 128 dB @ 20 Hz????

I hope you don't share any walls with neighbors, or better yet live far from them!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I looked into getting one but I already have enough bass for my room, that thing is HUGE!!!!!

18"x18"x31" and able to put out something like 128 dB @ 20 Hz????

I hope you don't share any walls with neighbors, or better yet live far from them!
Luckily, I live in a house and not an apartment.
Wow! This thing was a total beast to move around.
I finally got the Trinity installed in the left corner of my room, slightly behind the left BP7000SC. At first I hooked up both the LFE & the Low-Level RCA L+R inputs because I wanted to hear the Trinity with both 2-Ch Stereo Music and 5.1 Movies.

Iím a separate components person, so I donít use a receiver for my audio. I donít even like my audio mix with video in the same box. So I use four Acurus RL-11 stereo preamps and four Acurus 200X3 amps, since 7.1 Channels require 8 separate channels. Iím also nuts on bi-amping, even though theyíre just passive.

In addition to the Trinity Sub, my speaker system includes the BP7000SC (2), CLR3000 (1), SM450 (4) for Surrounds & Rears.

I have all my channels set to 65 dBC and the LFE channel set to 70 dBC using a digital SPL meter. They are all manually tuned, of course. I have all my channels in my Panasonic DMP-BD10A & Toshiba HD-XA1 set to Large + Subwoofer.

For music, I thought it was OVERPOWERING because the BP7000SCs already had tremendous bass. And the gain controls on the BP7000SCs were set to 11 oíclock. Any additional bass was simply overkill for me. I would have to cut down the bass on the BP7000SCs, which I did not want to. Thus, I ended up using just the LFE input, and unhooked the Low-Level RCA inputs. So the Trinity will be used just for movies.
I believe the BP7000SCs by themselves work just fine for movies as well. But I actually want OVERKILL BASS when it comes to movies, unlike music! So I would have to crank the gain controls way up on the BP7000SCs to achieve overkill bass. Since Iím 50/50 on music and movies, I prefer not having to change the gain controls back and forth everyday. Besides, I love the looks of the Trinity Sub. It looks very MANLY.

The Trinity sounded like an EARTHQUAKE! It scared the living daylights out of me! I thought the walls and ceiling were going to collapse. This thing is the real deal. Every single movie seemed like it had tremendous bass. I truly heard bass I did not realize were present.

Well, guys, I am really, really impressed with the Trinity Sub. Now I am re-watching a lot of my BLU-RAY and HD DVD movies to catch up on all the bass that I have been missing. The BP7000SCs produce more bass than any other speakers Iíve ever listened to. And to say that the Trinity has actually augmented or improved on the BP7000SCsí bass is a tremendous compliment.

Last edited by AcuDefTechGuy; 12-18-2007 at 07:03 AM..
Sponsored Links

Tags
13, audio, conquest, def, definitive, epik, f113, jl, reference, sm450, subwoofer, supercube, svs, tech, technology, trinity, ultra