Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Subwoofers How low can you go? Discuss everything from setup to placement to EQ and beyond.

Old 12-06-2007   #7

Default Re: Defintive Technolgy TRINITY SUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
To the best of my knowledge no one has independently looked at this. There has been some talk of 'standardizing' subwoofer numbers, but that hasn't seemed to go far to date.

Suffice it to say that sub is a monster! 18"x18"x31" with quoted reproduction down to 10 Hz and capable of 128 dB @ 20 Hz??? I doubt anyone could need more output than that!

I haven't had one in my room YET, but I think I would like to try it some day!
I was going to buy it today, but backed out the last second.

So you would buy this thing?

If you had a choice with Epik Conquest, Velodyne DD-18, SVS-13 Ultra, or DefTech Trinity, which would you buy?
AcuDefTechGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007   #8

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but for my money DefTech bass is second to none. I've owned several Super Cubes, as well as a pair of their reference towers w/ built in subs and nothing can touch 'em for the money. I'm sure a top of the line JL sub would be of equal output and quality, but you're talking about waaaay more $$$. The Trinity is amazing.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Velodyne, and SVS (while a good value) never sounded musical to me. Revel makes a fine sub, one I'd be happy to own, but again, we're talking best bass for the money and that victory has to go to DefTech.

Not to throw another name into the ring, but Outlaw also has some fine subwoofers too. They're less than the DefTechs and will give you most of what some of the DefTech subs will but I don't think they can touch the Trinity.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007   #9

Talking Re: Defintive Technolgy TRINITY SUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson_A View Post
I know I'm a bit late to the party, but for my money DefTech bass is second to none. I've owned several Super Cubes, as well as a pair of their reference towers w/ built in subs and nothing can touch 'em for the money. I'm sure a top of the line JL sub would be of equal output and quality, but you're talking about waaaay more $$$. The Trinity is amazing.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Velodyne, and SVS (while a good value) never sounded musical to me. Revel makes a fine sub, one I'd be happy to own, but again, we're talking best bass for the money and that victory has to go to DefTech.

Not to throw another name into the ring, but Outlaw also has some fine subwoofers too. They're less than the DefTechs and will give you most of what some of the DefTech subs will but I don't think they can touch the Trinity.
Thanks, Andrew.

I might go back to the store tomorrow and buy that Trinity.
I guess I had "cold feet", and I just need more good info.

Any more details would help me out a lot.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2007   #10

Tough to say, I just bought a Def Tech Mythos ST system, actually four of them and the Mythos 10 center and I am hedging on adding the Trinity to the system to just blow out the system.

All are good subs and it really comes down to what you want/need and more importantly what your room needs. I have no experience with the SVS, the Velodynes are OK, but I would go with JL Audio before them nowadays, I truly think JL Audio does a great job with their subs. All my bashing of car audio, I guess I was wrong because these guys really learned how to do bass! The Trinity is off the charts for price/performance and can shake your house off it's foundation if given the chance....

What are your goals?
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Tough to say, I just bought a Def Tech Mythos ST system, actually four of them and the Mythos 10 center and I am hedging on adding the Trinity to the system to just blow out the system.

All are good subs and it really comes down to what you want/need and more importantly what your room needs. I have no experience with the SVS, the Velodynes are OK, but I would go with JL Audio before them nowadays, I truly think JL Audio does a great job with their subs. All my bashing of car audio, I guess I was wrong because these guys really learned how to do bass! The Trinity is off the charts for price/performance and can shake your house off it's foundation if given the chance....

What are your goals?
I'm planning on building a new house with a 25'x35'x10' Rectangular HT room.
I already have the BP7000SCs, which also have great amount of bass.
But I want the best possible overkill bass in this price range and I want it to blend in perfectly with my BP7000SCs.

I've read somewhere about Tom Nousaine's measurements a lot of subwoofers. He did not measure the Trinity, but he measured the SC-I, II, III, & Reference. Overall, I got the idea that he was not very impressed with Def Tech. Of course, he's not the Subwoofer God or anything, but his name is pretty popular in the audio industry.

I also heard on other forums that the SVS Ultra & Epik Conquest outperformed the Trinity, although there are no proofs that I know of.

This made me nervous about buying the Trinity, which I almost did at 4 p.m. today. :-)

I went back & forth in my decision and ended up not buying today. But if you guys highly recommend the Trinity, I may just buy it tomorrow.

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2007   #12

FWIW I have considered the Trinity sub, and m,ight get one to go with my Mythos ST's.

Can you buy a better subwoofer? Likely yes.

Can you get one close to as good for the $$? I highly doubt it!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
13, audio, conquest, def, definitive, epik, f113, jl, reference, sm450, subwoofer, supercube, svs, tech, technology, trinity, ultra