Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Subwoofers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/subwoofers-19/)
-   -   Definitive Technolgy SuperCube Reference (http://www.avrev.com/forum/subwoofers/603-definitive-technolgy-supercube-reference.html)

JerryDelColliano 09-01-2007 03:26 PM

Definitive Technolgy SuperCube Reference

http://www.avrev.com/equip/definitiv...ube/index.html

Review by Tim Hart

heater 11-03-2007 05:28 PM

Re: Definitive Technolgy SuperCube Reference

Hello, i and creating a theater room in a new house. I was wondering if i should buy a reference(defin) or a pair of supercube 1's. I will be using a 3000 for a center, bpxvp for mids, bp2x's for rears. I will be buying a denon 4308 for a receiver. I heard or read that the reference was 4 times the sub that the supercubes were. thank you

kennyt 11-04-2007 04:10 AM

heater,

Welcome to the forum! How did you find us?

As for subs... That depends on a few things....

How big is the room?
How loud do you listen? Do you really want T-Rex in the room with you?
How good are you at setting up subs?

I ask the last one as while each additional sub can make the bass performance better, if not set up right, it can just as well made it worse. FWIW right now I am running four powered subs (* This is down from the five I initially had for an upcoming review of the new Def Tech Mythos ST speakers) and the bass is simply amazing) I understand these subs are pretty much like the Super Cube one or two and even on two channel, the bass in my room is amazing and my room is pretty large.

I too hear the reference is a monster. Want really sick? Look at the Trinity! Custom designed to mate with their 80+ speaker system for an electric pipe organ in the Trinity Church in NYC where the pipes were irreparably damaged from 9/11. That sub will do >128 dB @ 20 Hz and something like 116 @ 16 Hz....

I want one......

heater 11-04-2007 08:18 AM

Thanksfor welcoming me, and such a quick reply. I found you by a google search on home theater. I wanted to see how other people had there set ups(rooms), to give me an idea on what i could or couldn't do.

I lke it fairly loud for movies(room will be sound proofed. What i wanted was the rumble, and to hear all the sounds. I liked the crispness of the defs, thats why i chose them.

I'm okay at seeting them up, but i got a buddy who is really good at it. As i sayif you can't use your friends, whoi can you use:).

I didn't condider the trinity, because thought it would be too much(bass) wanted to keep from replacing windows all the time:).

If one reference will provide more bass than 2 suercube ones? Then i will probabbly go with the reference. If it is about the same, then i'll spend the little extra money and buy the 2 supercubes. I do have an older unpowered yamaha sub, i'll throw in the room somewhere.

I am running a paradigm pw 2200 right now, but iwas gonna keep that with my older pioneer receiver( channel) for the family room.

Thanks again

kennyt 11-04-2007 01:39 PM

Yeah, the Trinity is really only for VERY large rooms, which is what it was designed for.

If it were me, I would go with one reference (this said not knowing your room size) as a 14" radiator has nearly twice the surface area or a 10" one (remember pi x r^2? In these cases the ratio's or R's would be 49/25 or basically twice)) and for another reason as well. Two subs help with balance and can, if set up right, fill a room more evenly by taking some of the work off each and giving two point sources of bass.

That said, if you really want the rumble and volume, the larger sub will go deeper and likely put out more SPL's than two of the smaller ones. I'd call Def Tech if you want to confirm it, they are really nice folks, but for my money, the bigger better one would be my preference.

Then take the $800 you'd save with the one bigger sub and buy yourself a Blu-ray AND an HD DVD player for all that wonderful high res video AND audio to play through the system!

heater 11-04-2007 01:55 PM

Sorry Kenny, i forgot to tell you the room is gonna be 14' x 22'. I'll try calling def and see what they say. I'll probably go with the one reference, if needed add another later.
Thank you very much.