Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Subwoofers How low can you go? Discuss everything from setup to placement to EQ and beyond.

Old 09-25-2008   #1

Default Carver Sunfire True Sub MK2 Blues - Lord have pity!

I have a Carver Sunfire True Sub MK2
It has a blown speaker.
Carver wants $600 to replace it.
I want whatever they are smoking.

Can anyone advise what to do here? Is it something I can replace myself easily enough and does anyone even know what drivers they use? They won't just sell me the speaker of course...no money in that.

I could sell it on E-Bay as a broken sub but I doubt I'd get much for it.

Any thoughts?
Russ
sashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #2

Default Re: Carver Sunfire True Sub MK2 Blues - Lord have pity!

Russ,

I had a similar problem but had a replacement driver that I picked up on ebay a while back. My advice would be to:

1) look for a replacement driver on ebay around $200 - $250 when they become available
2) sell the unit as a parts unit with open driver (probably around $75 - $100 on ebay - I think the last one I saw went for $80 a few months ago)

Unfortunately you can not have the sub reconed - so you're stuck with the options above...

If you still have the unit I'd be interested in it as I like to keep replacement parts handy in case mine blows again - don't want to pay what Sunfire charges.

Rich
eboxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #3

Exclamation Re: Carver Sunfire True Sub MK2 Blues - Lord have pity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashua View Post
I have a Carver Sunfire True Sub MK2
It has a blown speaker.
Carver wants $600 to replace it.
I want whatever they are smoking.

Can anyone advise what to do here? Is it something I can replace myself easily enough and does anyone even know what drivers they use? They won't just sell me the speaker of course...no money in that.

I could sell it on E-Bay as a broken sub but I doubt I'd get much for it.

Any thoughts?
Russ
Sell it and get yerself an SVS subwoofer (many models and prices to choose from); real workhorses, produce real low infrabass signals, and won't die on you under spirited playback. For what Carver wants to replace the burned out driver am sure you can find one that would suit your needs. Check out SVS' Website (SVS.com).

I own eight 46-16 tubular units, plus two B4-12 Plus boxed subs (all passive--use separate amps to power them--but they got gobs of powered models to choose from too) and couldn't be happier. Highly recommended...

-elcid
elcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, blues, carver, carversunfire, driver, drivers, forum, mk2, parts, replacement, subs, subwoofer, sunfire, true, truesub