Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Subwoofers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/subwoofers-19/)
-   -   JL Audio subs (http://www.avrev.com/forum/subwoofers/237-jl-audio-subs.html)

JerryDelColliano 07-06-2007 08:38 AM

JL Audio subs

Have any of you been out to hear JL's Gotham sub?

I checked it out at the Defintive Event in Seattle and it might be the biggest, meanest, deepest, most engineered sub I have ever seen.

People think JL Audio is just a car audio company but they make one KILLER sub for home theater. Trust me on this one. Actually, don't trust me - just go find one and tell the salesman to rock your world. He will.

Brian 07-06-2007 09:06 AM

Re: JL Audio subs

I haven't been able to find a JL home subwoofer to audition but I have high hopes for them. I have been familiar with the company for nearly twenty years. Back in the late 80's and early 90's when I was involved with car audio competitions at the national level they came out with some great speakers. The people behind the products also showed lots of enthusiasm and commitment to making a better product. I will be interesting to see how much they have progressed over the years.
Brian

JerryDelColliano 07-06-2007 11:31 AM

When I worked at Sasafras in Bryn Mawr PA - I sold JL woofers along with alot of other top car audio stuff. Eclipse headunits, precision power, alpine, Boston pro, MB Quart.

JL was TOP performing stuff. Lots of margin and easy to sell.

We had an 18 inch woofer box and would put a quarter on it and fling it to the ceiling if we had the right IROQ driving client in the store. Most of the time it was the Jag or BMW crowd.

Their new home theater woofers are FAR FAR FAR more serious. The build quality can only be compared to the likes of Wilson, Revel, B&W etc... Really over engineered. Just the way we like it. VERY powerful.

I know my old boss, Joe Cali sells them into his big custom theaters. He has good ears and good taste in high end gear. He also sells T+A which is very Cello-like electronics. Way WAY under the radar stuff but super nice. German made. Far more popular there than here.

deacongreg 07-06-2007 01:23 PM

I have to say, that originally I was surprised to see your review of a JL audio sub for Home Theater use. I know them for car audio as well. Looks like we have something very positive going with JL right now.

Butch 08-14-2007 12:03 PM

For the last 4 years I have been eminently happy with my Paradigm Servo 15 sub woofer. Recently while it was in the shop for repairs I was given a Paradigm Signature Series sub. During the 4 weeks that it was in my home I was amazed by its ability to blend with the Reference Studio 100 speakers. I always had problems getting the Servo 15 to blend with these speakers. The Signature was the most musical sub I've ever heard.

Although extremely satisfying during movies, more often than not I would remove the Servo 15 from the loop when playing music. Not so with the signature. I did not want to return it. Economics forced me to.

Which brings me to this: Can a sub be had for $2000.00 or less that can be satisfying for both movies and music?

Is the JL Audio that sub?

tlqualman 08-15-2007 10:28 AM

I wish I had as positive experience with a demo of the JL Audio sub (F-112) as some of you. I have listened to it twice (at the same dealer) and both times it was underwhelming. I have to admit that this shop does more business in car audio than home systems but still they should know how to set up something properly. The build quality was second to none but with music it sounded bloated, boomy, and over bearing even after turning down it's output. Listening to movies was different, U571 felt like someone was punching me with each depth charge. I hope to find a different dealer with a better setup for music before I make up my mind for sure if this sub is for me.