Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Subwoofers How low can you go? Discuss everything from setup to placement to EQ and beyond.

Old 08-05-2009   #25

Default Re: Stereo subs - Do they rock or is it overkill?

Having 2 subwoofers is often a big improvement, bedcause due to the very long wave lengths of bass, there are often nulls and over-and-under emphasis in some regions. The two subwoofers often help that situation by filling the "blank" spots and smoothing out the others.

The most important thing you can do for your listening room (besides getting very good speakers) is using acoustic treatments, such as bass traps, room diffusers, etc. The room is far more important to sound quality than any of your electrical components.

I was recently fortunate to have won a hi-fi contest and received a NeptunEQ (MSRP $4K). It does an incredible job and smoothing out any acoustical problem areas in your room. But no component is so perfect that some room treatment won't improve.

Greg
gstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #26
wes

It depends if you have big Powerful speaker that can go down to 30 or 25HZ forget it five B&W 800D powered with monoblocks will do the trick

Other wise yes the best is four subs, then two, then one but one the thing is to consider the volume of the room as well as how it is treated!
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #27

I currently use 3 subs(2 in front, 1 in the rear) in one of my theaters and it works great!
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
I currently use 3 subs(2 in front, 1 in the rear) in one of my theaters and it works great!
That is the same set up I use and I just love it. It's nice just having the bass in front ,but having some behind adds tremendously. Thanks for the comment. Glad to see I'm not the only crazy one.
flaminio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminio View Post
That is the same set up I use and I just love it. It's nice just having the bass in front ,but having some behind adds tremendously. Thanks for the comment. Glad to see I'm not the only crazy one.
I would say smart rather than crazy...
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevign View Post
At least in automobiles a single Sub is essential, the road eats up alot of bass sound........especially in the summer with the windows rolled down. In my house I have none at all, my Vandersteens supply all the bass I need or care about, even when I'm listening to TV through my stereo speakers. I would assume that with lesser quality and/or smaller size speakers, the more need there might be.

If one needs 2 Subs in a living room, it's god's way of telling you your living room is too big and you should send me some of your money. No checks please.
I am not familiar with Vandersteens, but unless they have powered subs included in their columns, you have no idea what you are missing. Just so you know, at one time I had columns with unpowered, passive 15" woofers and was thrilled. Now I have 10" powered subs of my favorite brand ,Infinity, and it is like being in a whole different universe. You don't have to turn them way up or anything. They just give you a new dimension in sound that you would never believe possible. I'm not knocking you. Everyone has different taste in sound. But company comes to my house and they are blown away with the fact that the floor rumbles and they hear the bass, but they can also hear all the other sound too, every little bit of it. The trouble with my earlier columns was that the bass drowned out all the other sound. Give some powereds a try. I guarantee you, you will be thrilled.
flaminio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
buy, center, oaudio, output, preamp, rock, setup, sound, split, sq, stereo, sterosubs, subs, subwoofer, subwoofers