Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Subwoofers How low can you go? Discuss everything from setup to placement to EQ and beyond.

Old 07-30-2009   #19

Default Re: Stereo subs - Do they rock or is it overkill?

We do sale Bose. However, that is not our speaker or sound system of choice. That is what we sale because so many request it. We have to offer what people want. In fact, the system we use in Home Theaters is JBL Synthesis. As for dimensions, we try to eliminate nodes and standing waves. We use diffusers and absorption panels to control a lot of this. You have to realize that we acoustically engineer rooms to achieve a RT of less than 2.0.
rickcreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #20
Administrator

Any home theater dealer pretty much has to sell Bose. Most women prefer Bose. Not much will talk them out of it.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
Any home theater dealer pretty much has to sell Bose. Most women prefer Bose. Not much will talk them out of it.
Having sold Bose and other sub/sat systems in the past, I can vouch for the above statement. One time a whole family of four came in and asked to hear the Bose Acoustimass xx.x, I politely obliged. Then I told them of the other great sub/sat systems they should hear before deciding. They hesitated but politely agreed to hear the others (at the time, Boston Acoustics and Energy Take 5's and Polks). I A,B,C,and D'd them all (blind test volume compensated for efficiency) and asked them to pick the ones they liked the most. Not surprisingly, NONE of them picked the Bose. All these others were less expensive, superior products. When I pointed out which speakers they chose (Energy and Bostons), they were surprised. Then I went in for the close and asked them which ones they would like to take home today. They all said in unison, Bose!"
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #22

First, not all subs are the same and some are designed to blend with other speakers. This blending brings the freqs up to directional freqs. Also, the freqs of the drivers depend on the output. Depending on power, etc a low freq driver will NOT generate the same extreme low freqs. To gurantee dbs at the lowest freqs, multiple subs/ drivers are then used. However, with that said, the reason for the sub being music typhany drums or movie video/ explosions should help determine the quality and price points when buying one or more subs.
Mitchell Erblich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
That's only true for big box stores. My experience has been that most women prefer pretty little speakers, and there are lots of those out there that are prettier than the stupid little bose cubes, sound much better, and cost less.

Thread hijack end.

2 subs or more help fill the room better. I use 2 in my main HT. If you have the space and money, I would advise doing it.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
That's only true for big box stores. My experience has been that most women prefer pretty little speakers, and there are lots of those out there that are prettier than the stupid little bose cubes, sound much better, and cost less.

Thread hijack end.

2 subs or more help fill the room better. I use 2 in my main HT. If you have the space and money, I would advise doing it.
I use 3 powered subs and my friend uses 5. The more the merrier. People go " Oh my God, you can feel the bass but still hear all the other sound. That's incredible."
flaminio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
buy, center, oaudio, output, preamp, rock, setup, sound, split, sq, stereo, sterosubs, subs, subwoofer, subwoofers