Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Subwoofers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/subwoofers-19/)
-   -   What about HSU Research? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/subwoofers/1512-what-about-hsu-research.html)

eltabor 01-29-2008 10:40 AM

What about HSU Research?

Maybe I don't want Velodyne or JBL. I have been looking at the HSU website and as many articles I can find. If all is true that would be the way to go. HSU says it matches up well with Onkyo receivers because of the crossover network and I own an Onkyo TXSR 605. From what I gather Outlaw is a pricier clone of HSU. HSU's loudspeakers are horn loaded like JBL's higher end models,which I also own(JBL). All of this sounds like a good fit for what I already have in place and reasonably priced. I am a carpenter and substitute mailman, so I don't make a great deal of money. What do you guys think?

JerryDelColliano 01-29-2008 11:36 AM

Re: What about HSU Research?

A LOT of guys use HSU on the forum. I have tried to do business with them but they want NOTHING to do with us. They seem to like to advertise on more obscure sites. I hear their woofers are quite good nonetheless.

If it matters, I am adding a second woofer to my reference theater that is a Definitive Super Cube. Real small. Real powerful. Paradigm and B&W are very good too. Blue chip investment as well.

j

Silver Supra 01-29-2008 11:45 AM

HSU has a good reputation and their chief competition seems to be SVS (www.svsound.com). After much research I went with an SVS PB12 +/2 and it was
phenomenal IMO. The guys at SVS were great to work with too and they offered tons of advice (typically responding via email within the hour - even on weekends!).

I dont think you can really go wrong with either.

JerryDelColliano 03-30-2008 08:51 AM

I see SVS even more on the Internet as they are building a nice reputation for themselves as a value oriented performance line of subs.

I ought to get Andrew to see if they want a review.

cujo8 04-11-2008 07:16 PM

I have been researching new subwoofers lately to replace my 9 year old B&W ASW-1000 subwoofer. I looked at Velodyne, M&K, SVS, and HSU and I ended up going wit an HSU sub. I purchased the HSU VTF-3 MK3 w/ Turbo upgrade, which they state can go down to 18Hz and according to the reviews I've read it suppose to great for both music and movies. I should be getting my new HSU sub, next week and I'm really looking forward to hearing the difference this new sub delivers.

My ASW-1000 has a 12" driver, 120W amplifyer, and can reproduce bass levels down to 25 Hz. It seems to be good for movies, but has problems keeping up with fast moving bass tracks on music. I'd have to admit the B&W ASW-1000 is the only sub I've ever owned, so I am not that worldly when it comes to subs. I auditioned a small 10" Velodyne sub, that was fine for music, but did not have enough punch for movies in my 18' x 18' x 8.5' home theater room. I then brought home a 15" Velodyne to audition and it was DOA and this kind of scared me off from buying a new sub at the time, so I decided to upgrade my B&W 805's to some full range 803's instead and I just used my sub for movies.

I will report back when i have a chance to set up and test this new sub and let you all know the results.

deacongreg 04-12-2008 02:57 PM

HSU. A company I heard about many years ago. Known for making great sound subwoofers, at very reasonable costs. Have not heard their name in sometime.