Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Subwoofers How low can you go? Discuss everything from setup to placement to EQ and beyond.

Old 04-12-2008   #7

Default Re: What about HSU Research?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
HSU. A company I heard about many years ago. Known for making great sound subwoofers, at very reasonable costs. Have not heard their name in sometime.
Here's the link to their website:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/
cujo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008   #8
wes

Cool Re: What about HSU Research?

You should try JL Audio Fathom F113,
http://home.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?prod_id=371

I bought it on the spot and moved the B&W to the garage

Of course the price is a bit higher!
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo8 View Post
Here's the link to their website:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/
Nice of you sir, thanks.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008   #10

Smile Re: What about HSU Research?

I know this is not the best reason to purchase a sub-woofer, but here goes. Please hold your laughter....

My Plateau stand is a very light maple (I have uploaded a picture). My Acoustic Research S12HO is to its left, and has served me well, but it is "basic black". I thought the HSU VTF-3 MK3 in maple, but without the turbo option would look nice. (Or VTF-3 HO, the latter because "bigger is better"???) There is a lot of "wife factor" here, she has tolerated me for quite a long time now.

I have a Denon AVR-3808ci hooked up to this, and (again, please hold the snickering down) Bose Acoustimass AM5-III speakers and center speaker (you can see the right speaker above the turntable), along with a Buttkicker with two LFEs.

Any thoughts on this? If you have managed to read this far, should I spring the extra $200 for the 500 watter?

(And yes, I have already experienced the drawbacks of a turntable so close to a speaker.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P082180017 - MMF 2.1 Ferrari Red LE Turntable.JPG (41.9 KB, 20 views)
pws442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pws442 View Post
I know this is not the best reason to purchase a sub-woofer, but here goes. Please hold your laughter....

My Plateau stand is a very light maple (I have uploaded a picture). My Acoustic Research S12HO is to its left, and has served me well, but it is "basic black". I thought the HSU VTF-3 MK3 in maple, but without the turbo option would look nice. (Or VTF-3 HO, the latter because "bigger is better"???) There is a lot of "wife factor" here, she has tolerated me for quite a long time now.

I have a Denon AVR-3808ci hooked up to this, and (again, please hold the snickering down) Bose Acoustimass AM5-III speakers and center speaker (you can see the right speaker above the turntable), along with a Buttkicker with two LFEs.

Any thoughts on this? If you have managed to read this far, should I spring the extra $200 for the 500 watter?

(And yes, I have already experienced the drawbacks of a turntable so close to a speaker.)
IMHO, if I were you, I would dump the Bose, and hold off on the sub - using that money + a little bit more to buy better front and center speakers.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008   #12

I doubt you'd need the larger sub to pair with the Bose speakers.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
15, audio, comparison, hsu, jl, mk3, musical, paradigm, price, research, review, subwoofer, uls, uls15, vtf3