Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Subwoofers How low can you go? Discuss everything from setup to placement to EQ and beyond.

Old 12-21-2007   #1

Default JBL or Velodyne

Hello
I am trying to decide between these two subwoofers, as their any opinions out there? JBL L8400 P - SPECIFICATIONS

General
Amplifier Power (RMS) - 600 Watts
Peak Dynamic Power - 1200 Watts;
the Peak Dynamic Power is measured by recording the highest peak-to-center voltage produced by the power amplifier with its limiters disabled, across the output of a resistive load equal to minimum impedance of the transducer, using a 50Hz sine wave burst, 3 cycles on, 17 cycles off.
Bass Driver - 12" (300mm) PolyPlas™cones with rubber surround, cast-aluminum chassis, HeatScape™ motor structure, Symmetrical Field Geometry™ (SFG™), oversized fiberglass voice coil, magnetic shorting ring
Frequency Response - (–3dB) 22Hz – Low-pass crossover frequency
Low-Pass Crossover Frequencies - 50Hz – 150Hz, continuously adjustable (150Hz when using speaker-level connection)
Inputs - Gold-plated 5-way binding-post speaker-level; left and right line-level, switchable to LFE
Outputs - Gold-plated, 5-way binding-post speaker-level
Enclosure Design - Sealed
Baffle - Low-diffraction, IsoPower™
Dimensions - (H x W x D) 16-1/2" (15-1/2" without feet) x 15-1/2" x 15-1/2"
Weight per Speaker - 58 lb

or the Velodyne DPS-12

Specifications
Amplifier - Class A/B: 400 watts Dynamic/200 watts RMS Power
Woofer: 12" forward firing (9.9" piston diameter)
Voice Coil: 2" four-layer copper
Magnet: 55 oz. (3.5 lbs)
Low Pass Crossover: 40 Hz-120 Hz adjustable
(12 dB/octave initial,48 dB/octave ultimate)
Inputs: Line-Level and Speaker-Level
Outputs: Speaker-Level
Frequency Response: 25-120 Hz (+/- 3 dB)
Weight: 58 lbs (approx)
Warrantyparts/labor) Three years (electronics)
Five years (drivers)
Cabinet(H/W/D)(cm): 18.25" x 14.5" x 19"
eltabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007   #2

Default Re: JBL or Velodyne

Can I suggest a Revel woofer based on your budget (not stated above)?

I have used Revel woofers with GREAT success over the years. Their setup software is rock solid even compared to using a pro (like I do with Bob Hodas). They play Very loud and VERY low with VERY little distortion.
Old 12-23-2007   #3

The JBL is $999.00 from factory, but can be had for half of that. Velodyne is $499.00. $500.00 looks steep to me, but it looks like that may be the minimum to spend to get something worthwhile. How does Revel fit in this price range?
Thank You
Old 01-02-2008   #4

Hello
This is highly unusual not to get any more feedback. Is everyone still on holiday?
Thank You
Ed
Old 01-02-2008   #5

I doubt you could get a Revel sub for $500, they are awesome, but do cost.

I am not familiar with the JBL subs at all, but have a lot of experience with the Velodyne subs, they are very good, especially for HT, a little less musical than the Revel's Jerry suggested, but a lot cheaper too. JL Audio makes a great sub as well, but they are also over your price point.

I would also look into the Outlaw subs as they offer a lot of bass for the money.

...as for holiday, I am not working if that is what you mean! I have been thus tearing the house apart, I totally gutted my HT and redid the entire thing the last two days as a new rack came.... Holiday? Sort of, but some how I seem to work more on 'Holidays' than at work!

Now if I can only finish getting the Christmas decorations down and the tree out....
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008   #6

I have a Revel B15 (x2) and can report that if you can find one used at less than $1600, you're doing well, so I suggest it shouldn't be in this comparison.

Alternately, in my second system, I have 2 HSU's, which I still think are the best bang-for-buck subs out there, and if you call them, many times Dr. Hsu will deal with your problem directly over the phone. Note that Outlaw subs mentioned below are, in fact, rebranded HSU's.

Check out the HSU's, and try audiogon.com for good prices on used stuff.
snofun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
15v2, 600, 605, a9, dps10, hsu, ht, jbl, klipsch, l8400, onkyo, opinions, polk, rti, servo, spec, subwoofer, velodyne