Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Subwoofers How low can you go? Discuss everything from setup to placement to EQ and beyond.

Old 07-28-2010   #13

Default Re: JBL or Velodyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltabor View Post
Hello
I am trying to decide between these two subwoofers, as their any opinions out there? JBL L8400 P - SPECIFICATIONS

General
Amplifier Power (RMS) - 600 Watts
Peak Dynamic Power - 1200 Watts;
the Peak Dynamic Power is measured by recording the highest peak-to-center voltage produced by the power amplifier with its limiters disabled, across the output of a resistive load equal to minimum impedance of the transducer, using a 50Hz sine wave burst, 3 cycles on, 17 cycles off.
Bass Driver - 12" (300mm) PolyPlas™cones with rubber surround, cast-aluminum chassis, HeatScape™ motor structure, Symmetrical Field Geometry™ (SFG™), oversized fiberglass voice coil, magnetic shorting ring
Frequency Response - (–3dB) 22Hz – Low-pass crossover frequency
Low-Pass Crossover Frequencies - 50Hz – 150Hz, continuously adjustable (150Hz when using speaker-level connection)
Inputs - Gold-plated 5-way binding-post speaker-level; left and right line-level, switchable to LFE
Outputs - Gold-plated, 5-way binding-post speaker-level
Enclosure Design - Sealed
Baffle - Low-diffraction, IsoPower™
Dimensions - (H x W x D) 16-1/2" (15-1/2" without feet) x 15-1/2" x 15-1/2"
Weight per Speaker - 58 lb

or the Velodyne DPS-12

Specifications
Amplifier - Class A/B: 400 watts Dynamic/200 watts RMS Power
Woofer: 12" forward firing (9.9" piston diameter)
Voice Coil: 2" four-layer copper
Magnet: 55 oz. (3.5 lbs)
Low Pass Crossover: 40 Hz-120 Hz adjustable
(12 dB/octave initial,48 dB/octave ultimate)
Inputs: Line-Level and Speaker-Level
Outputs: Speaker-Level
Frequency Response: 25-120 Hz (+/- 3 dB)
Weight: 58 lbs (approx)
Warrantyparts/labor) Three years (electronics)
Five years (drivers)
Cabinet(H/W/D)(cm): 18.25" x 14.5" x 19"
well i would recommend JBL... because JBL Speakers has a long line of quality sound and style in the audio industry.JBL has become more mass market in their consumer loudspeakers throughout time. On the other hand, they have also staked out a position at the highest end of the consumer field with their Project speakers, consisting of the Everest and K2 lines that were particularly successful in foreign markets.
petersteel1066@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #14

If I was in your shoes, I would go to a retailer in your area and see if that model or similar is on display. Take a dvd/cd with your prefered music or movie and take a test drive. Usual Box-stores may have poor surroundings, but specialty stores would have half-decent setups, that is if you have not heard them already. Few may offer Try-before-you-buy. Bottom line is how they sound and feel. Good luck in your quest.

Last edited by AudioBuffToronto; 01-07-2011 at 12:31 AM..
AudioBuffToronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #15

I like your JBL. Personally, in my HT, I use a JBL MP418SP for some rockin' hard sub..
musikman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012   #16

Well, if I had to choose between JBL or Velodyne then I would have definitely select JBL. One of my friend is using JBL systems in his home theater system and the sound effects are really great.

Tags
15v2, 600, 605, a9, dps10, hsu, ht, jbl, klipsch, l8400, onkyo, opinions, polk, rti, servo, spec, subwoofer, velodyne