Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Subwoofers How low can you go? Discuss everything from setup to placement to EQ and beyond.

Old 11-08-2007   #1

Default LFE vs. L/R sub channel...

I never really had to deal with it until I got my Lexicon MC12 processor which has the ability to do either a sub or two (or more) via an LFE signal or L/R RCA outs. However, not all of the Lexicon's DSP's take advantage of both. For instance, Logic 7 Music (DSP to create a surround sound like performance from 2 channel material) likes a L/R sub over an LFE. By like I mean it won't send a signal to the LFE output. Where as DD Logic likes the LFE. Like I said, until the Lexicon the way I configured a sub, at least when it came to inputs, was a bit of a non issue.

I'm curious, how do you prefer to wire up your subs? Are you an RCA or LFE fan?

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #2

Default Re: LFE vs. L/R sub channel...

I prefer the LFE single input. It was meant to be this way for discreet subwoofer audio.

The only advantage I have ever seen to the L/R type connection is exactly what you stated - the processor with the L/R sub outputs likes to use that connection for their DSP effects.

But when it comes to standard DD Pro Logic or DTS Neo Cinema, and discreet mixes, the algorithms were designed for a single LFE connection. When using the L/R connection and listening to discreet mixes, the L is the typical LFE connection and the R is the same signal but with an amplitude reduction to prevent phase cancellation when re-combined after reaching the subwoofer.

But when listening to the processor specific DSP, the DSP can create a special L/R sub mix that won't result in cancellations and thus the better sound through the built in L/R.

In my system I use a Y-splitter to send LFE directly to the SuperTower built-in 14" subs. This is all I need for powerful discreet surround mixes and then 2-channel signals I generally use the Stereo receiver setting or the Neo: Music setting which utilizes the LFE connection effectively.

So unless you use the processor solely for 2-channel music sources, I would use the LFE connection. It sounds better and cleaner to me. And you can say goodbye to the days of "non-issue" connections as the technology evolves even further. Makes life interesting but also confusing and stressful.
tigeraudio2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
channel, connection, dd10, default, generate, lexicon, lfe, lfemain, lr, lrlfe, mc12, rca, stereo, subwoofer, ysplitter