Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Old 11-05-2007   #1

Default Linn Unidisc SC

Though we have certainly entered the wonderful world of High Definition audio and video, with the promise of True Dolby HD, DTS Master Audio, we wait still for all the quirks to be worked out. But for some of us, there is still a need to have a high quality universal player, to play our beloved sacd`s and dvd-a`s. Companies like Telarc, Heads Up International, Mobile Fidelity and some others, are still turning out these high quality multi-channel discs.

The Linn Unidisc SC has been highly regarded as one of the best "universal players" on the market. The SC stands for system controller, it can decode and play back virtually any 5"consumer media, and is also a full function, five channel preamplifier and a digital processor compatible with Dolby Pro Logic and DTS surround-sound software.

Anyone have any experience with this Linn product?
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007   #2

Default Re: Linn Unidisc SC

Yep! I had one and really enjoyed it. It's a huge bang for the buck and is really very user friendly. I used this in an aktiv AV51 system and it really sounded great.

The downside IMO was the passive pre-amp section which obviously limited dynamics. But what do you expect for a product at this price-point that does so many things.

I did experiment with bypassing the pre-amp and using it as a source only where it did a terrific job.

I never had an issue with any disk I threw at it and eventually replaced it with another Unidisk, the 1.1.

Nothing but praise from me for the SC.
Silver Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007   #3

Smile Re: Linn Unidisc SC

That is just great. And you answered a question for me. Always wondered how the unit performed with bypassing the preamp. I `m not surprised that it performed very well.

Is there that much of a difference for the price, between the SC and 1.1?
Old 11-07-2007   #4

I owned the Unidisk 1.1 for several years and still regret selling it as i have yet to hear anything as good. My current reference is the Classe CDP-300 and it is no slouch, but still isn't as musical as the Linn and it also won't play SACDs. Staying current has its pros and cons.
http://modernhometheater.com/
http://www.avrevforum.com/
Audiogeek_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Is there that much of a difference for the price, between the SC and 1.1?
The difference is H-U-G-E....
Silver Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Supra View Post
The difference is H-U-G-E....
Okay, Okay!! Its good TOO know that in this case when you do move up, there is a real difference. Great!!
Sponsored Links

Tags
11, blue, controller, dolby, linn, logic, player, price, pro, problems, ray, sc, silver, unidisc, unidisk, universal