Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Source Components (http://www.avrev.com/forum/source-components-6/)
-   -   SACD and DVD-Audio, Doomed Formats? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/source-components/772-sacd-dvd-audio-doomed-formats.html)

Kato 09-20-2007 01:34 PM

SACD and DVD-Audio, Doomed Formats?

Well this should be a controversial thread hopefully. :) I'm contemplating jumping into high def digital and buying a universal DVD player that supports both these formats, but I'm reluctant as it appears that the industry is about to orphan these formats. Sony has abandoned SACD (surprise, surprise) with no support in their latest blu-ray player, and in general I'm concerned that these formats will die a slow, lingering death as the few companies that produce high-def digital recordings move to blu-ray or HD-DVD as the new high-def AV formats gain in popularity. Any opinions out there on this one?

bryan562 09-20-2007 01:37 PM

Re: SACD and DVD-Audio, Doomed Formats?

I can say from my own opinion, the real answer , if you are into video games, is to just get a PS3 and an Xbox 360 with the HD DVD drive. I have both of those and I sit back and laught at all of the people who are sitting on the fence. I'm watching any HD movie I damn well please and I dont even have to pay attention to if the case is blue or red!

Just my 2 cents

Kato 09-20-2007 01:43 PM

What I want is high def digital audio. To put it more succinctly: Will high def digital audio eventually (or fairly quickly) move to one or both of the new high def AV formats and doom SACD and DVD-Audio?

deacongreg 09-20-2007 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kato (Post 3267)
What I want is high def digital audio. To put it more succinctly: Will high def digital audio eventually (or fairly quickly) move to one or both of the new high def AV formats and doom SACD and DVD-Audio?

My two cents: Everyone on this forum knows that, while Batman Begins and King Kong almost had me go HD DVD with Toshibisa, that I believe in a "universal player." I`m not willing to make this jump again. Now, maybe, and I say maybe, Samsung`s new player MAY change this, but we`ll wait and see.

But here is the deal, and I thank Andrew for pointing it out, we need a true "universal player." You have Sony Blu - Ray machines, that do not support SACD. Does that make sense?
What we need in my humble opinion is a "True Universal Player" that has 1.3a, plays ALL discs, including DVD - A and SACD with bass management, HD DVD and Blu - Ray of course, along with the best or most beneficial features of both, and upconvert standard DVD discs, and have the new Dolby True HD, DTS - HD, etc.

Then, we would really have something. Then, as Jerry said, get yourself a NetFlix account, and go to town.

Otherwise, why bother. Go get yourself a universal player, and call it a day.

But, if you are into gaming, I can not knock the PlayStation 3. A video console, Blu-Ray player and SACD, that probably is the best bargain. But of course, there will always be those movies only available on HD DVD. So...................................... ...

dwbattle 09-20-2007 09:54 PM

What everybody tends to forget is that the players do not make a new audio or video format: the software content (albums released) makes the format. Who cares if the latest Sony Blu-Ray player supports SACD; that doesn't matter. What does matter is that SACD discs are being produced every month by a wide variety of classical and jazz labels. No other hi-res music format has near the same level of support. Neither Blu-Ray nor HD-DVD show any signs of getting any music software support. When it comes to hi-res music, SACD is the clear winner.

"But the major labels don't support SACD..." WHO CARES. The major labels all produce low-res junk that doesn't even take advantage of the capabilities of normal red-book CDs. Pop music played at high-res sounds just like it does on CD. The jazz and classical labels that do care about sound quality do support SACD. They are the only ones willing/able to truly support a hi-res music format. Jazz and classical music often does take advantage of and sound significantly better on a high-res format such as SACD. The support (or lack thereof) of the jazz and classical labels is all that matters for high-res music formats.

JerryDelColliano 09-20-2007 10:08 PM

I had lunch at Spago today with a former exec at EMI and talked about how things could have been differnet with DTS CD's.

Software is EVERYTHING!!!!

j