Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Old 10-05-2007   #43

Default Re: SACD and DVD-Audio, Doomed Formats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Supra View Post
I'm afraid they are dying... and it's a shame since SACD flat out kicks ass!
I definately prefer DVD-A, and was able to find alot on CD Universe, but because of DSOTM, I got a universal player. It's a shame the fence riders killed them both by "waiting."
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpl View Post
Given your history (for which much respect is due as one of the pioneers of the genre) I'd hope you would acknowledge the gripe here that if the new generations of machines won't play the MLP layer, then it's a very poor show.

A bitter taste for those like me that did wholeheartedly try and support the DTS/MLP formats over the last 5 years or so. The only option is to always keep the old machines in the rack for the purpose. 8-Tracks, DATS, Betamax...you name it.
FYI... I recently responded to your comments, but the message seems to be lost in cyberspace... so I'll try again:

Yes... I TOTALLY agree that "format wars" are annoying AND hard on the wallet.

But, personally, I am even more upset that the $3995 HDTV that I purchased two years ago, is now on sale for $599... and that my new laptop is already being replaced by a better model that is 4 times faster, and at half the price!

RE: MLP/DTS/EIEIO... I am willing and able to respond to direct questions about "what REALLY happened" behind the scenes. But, quite frankly, I spend very little time re-living the mistakes of the past... and would much rather devote all of my energy towards co-creating innovative solutions for the future.

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #45

Enoch, DSotM bothered me too for a while, but, then I 'discovered' the DVD-A 4.0 release and can honestly say it's up there with the very best. Not quite Art Pepper but mighty close.
ncpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpl View Post
Enoch, DSotM bothered me too for a while, but, then I 'discovered' the DVD-A 4.0 release and can honestly say it's up there with the very best. Not quite Art Pepper but mighty close.
DSotM in DVD-A 4.0 ? Where? Wait. Don't tell me, that would make 5 different formats of that album. Too much.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DelGrosso View Post
FYI... I recently responded to your comments, but the message seems to be lost in cyberspace... so I'll try again:

Yes... I TOTALLY agree that "format wars" are annoying AND hard on the wallet.

But, personally, I am even more upset that the $3995 HDTV that I purchased two years ago, is now on sale for $599... and that my new laptop is already being replaced by a better model that is 4 times faster, and at half the price!

RE: MLP/DTS/EIEIO... I am willing and able to respond to direct questions about "what REALLY happened" behind the scenes. But, quite frankly, I spend very little time re-living the mistakes of the past... and would much rather devote all of my energy towards co-creating innovative solutions for the future.

DD
Yes, David, you, I , and jerry pioneering the ability produce our old music in high rez!!!!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007   #48

Doomed or not, SA-CD over TOSLINK (digital optical out) was just added in the latest firmware update from Sony for the Sony PS3. This was November 8th, 2007. The 80GB still has SACD
support. In any case, if you want the whole story about compatibility of SACD on PS3 (or for
any audio format that is supported on the PS3 for that matter), you can take a look
at this webpage where all the details are put together concisely...

http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html
edepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
abandoned, acura, audio, bluray, doomed, dvdaudio, formats, labels, make, player, sacd, sense, supports, universal, video