Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Old 10-04-2007   #37

Smile Re: SACD and DVD-Audio, Doomed Formats?

Wonderful David!! I did not know you worked at DTS. I have always felt that their recordings of surround sound where superior to the rest. Ohio Players and Diana Krall to be exact. And I received a sampler video disc of DTS movies. Jurrasic Park was one of the clips. Has to be one of the best demos ever.

You must have had fun working at DTS. Now you know what I`m going to ask you now!! With the position you had at DTS, it seems you could have inquired about getting our favorite artists on DTS. I would love to hear Pat Metheny or Jean Luc Ponty on a DTS recording!!

Likewise, while your saying we can play DVD - A discs on HD machines, its true that SACD is not supported. I believe Andrew was sharing with me his disappointment that his SONY BLu - Ray machine will not play back his SACD titles.

Its crazy. Do we all really need 3 to 4 machines in our racks that have an eject button?

Last edited by deacongreg; 10-04-2007 at 03:53 PM..
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #38

Default Re: SACD and DVD-Audio, Doomed Formats?

Do we all really need 3 to 4 machines in our racks that have an eject button?

I run four in the one system, two in the other but there is always room for more!

I heard Lipinski is working with Sony to utilize Blu-ray for MC audio. If this pans out, it should be capable of even better sound than DVD-A or SACD.... Hopefully, and it's a big 'IF'.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
With the position you had at DTS, it seems you could have inquired about getting our favorite artists on DTS. I would love to hear Pat Metheny or Jean Luc Ponty on a DTS recording!!
Licensing the rights to re-mix music into 5.1 surround is not quite as easy as just "picking out our favorite titles."

The condition and availability of the Masters, is a big factor... as is the contractual rights and advance-royality requirements of the labels and the artists... as is THE BIG ONE = the cost to produce and market each title -vs- the income that can be derived from selling these discs.

Needless to say... if the sales volume can safely result in a bottom line that is truly profitable, somebody will "put up the money" to seal the deal... or NOT.

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Do we all really need 3 to 4 machines in our racks that have an eject button?

I run four in the one system, two in the other but there is always room for more!

I heard Lipinski is working with Sony to utilize Blu-ray for MC audio. If this pans out, it should be capable of even better sound than DVD-A or SACD.... Hopefully, and it's a big 'IF'.
Yeah kennyt I know you are loaded. But, it would be great if that IF comes to pass.
Old 10-04-2007   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DelGrosso View Post
Licensing the rights to re-mix music into 5.1 surround is not quite as easy as just "picking out our favorite titles."

The condition and availability of the Masters, is a big factor... as is the contractual rights and advance-royality requirements of the labels and the artists... as is THE BIG ONE = the cost to produce and market each title -vs- the income that can be derived from selling these discs.

Needless to say... if the sales volume can safely result in a bottom line that is truly profitable, somebody will "put up the money" to seal the deal... or NOT.

DD
Oh, do not get me wrong. I was not suggesting at all that this was an easy thing to get done. Not at all. Only that you being there, I`m sure it must have come across your mind a view times while there. And, there is no way to guarantee how profitable or not this kind of venture will be.
Old 10-04-2007   #42

Hi DD,

I totally agree that if we don't need compression of any sort then we're in great shape. I also agree that DTS 96/24 is far closer to MLP in SQ and both are possibly inferior to 'raw' PCM at 96/24 (Bob Stuart may beg to differ though as lossless is lossless). However, you'd mentioned in your earlier post the standard DD and DTS which are definitely different to MLP or PCM.

Quote:
Most likely, NONE of the HD players will include MLP decoding.
Given your history (for which much respect is due as one of the pioneers of the genre) I'd hope you would acknowledge the gripe here that if the new generations of machines won't play the MLP layer, then it's a very poor show. A bitter taste for those like me that did wholeheartedly try and support the DTS/MLP formats over the last 5 years or so. The only option is to always keep the old machines in the rack for the purpose. 8-Tracks, DATS, Betamax...you name it.
ncpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
abandoned, acura, audio, bluray, doomed, dvdaudio, formats, labels, make, player, sacd, sense, supports, universal, video