Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Old 08-08-2010   #79

Default Re: SACD and DVD-Audio, Doomed Formats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guit30 View Post
Thanks for the heads up,
Your welcome

Quote:
but the BP80 does not convert SACD to dts thru it's analog output like the old 980,
Don't get this I have both the older 70 and 80 and to my knowledge no sacd to dts occurrs??
750 Sig's/200/300's/UFW-10, Rotel 1065, Toshiba DVD-9200, AA DDS-Pro, P1a(SOCS)/P3a level2/P3b level 1 (P1/P3 EA'd), BPT 2.5 Ultra, QSymphony Pro, Sennheiser HD600/Equinox, GSP Solo,Xfeed, 20a dedicated circuit, 8thNerve

Last edited by Ronm1; 08-08-2010 at 12:00 PM..
Ronm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010   #80

Yes
But you get SACD thru the 980, according to BP80, it will only play SACD as pcm, unless you hdmi it to a system that can
J
Fishman pickupsl
"John 3:16"
guit30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #81

Should change this thread to "SACD's" Wow more coming". Just got my 8/27 newsletter from musicdirect.com. 5 new Stevie Ray
Vaughn SACD's from MOFI coming over the next few months plus around 30 others with TBD dates.

Terms like doomed and obsolescence don't always mean the same to everyone. I have a 32 year old Maytag washer my neighbor laughed at and said that thing is obsolete. Really? It still works. I take a hammer to the motor now and then and it still washes clothes.Amazing! I grew up in West Virginia where the satellite dish replaced the Robin as the official state bird but there are still Robins flying around. Are they doomed or endangered just because they are out-numbered by satellite dishes? No.

I've always viewed obsolescence as when something is no longer usable for an individual not when somebody says it's obsolete
or doomed (hate that word). SACD's? Still usable. LP's? Still usable. CD's? Still usable. Cassettes? Still usable. 8 Track? In West Virginia probably more than a few still usable and I dare you to tell a hillbilly sitting in his 64 chevy pick-up with the 8 track blaring and a loaded 16 gauge on the gun rack that his tape deck is doomed! Dude, like where is the iPod port? Yeah right.

Bruce
bpl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011   #82

with universal DVD player you'll have hi def audio, so don't bother about formats
JohnBakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #83

Well, it's been 4 years since I kicked off this thread, in the intervening time I bought a Pioneer DVD player that also plays DVD-Audio and SACD, bought a bunch of SACDs and enjoyed the superior sound, then bought an Oppo BDP-83 and retired the Pioneer, (my shortest-lived piece of AV gear ever) bought some blu-ray audio discs which also sounded good, and now have just downloaded my first high-rez album from HDTracks in FLAC format (Buena Vista Social Club). I burned a DVD-Audio copy of the FLAC files with Cirlinca DVD-Audio Solo software, chucked it in the Oppo, and am happily listening to high quality 96KHz / 24 bit sound which I painlessly and legally obtained over the internet. I'm now probably done buying audio discs of any flavour, unless it's the only way to obtain a paticular recording. I'm considering getting a Squeezebox Touch, ripping my CD's to FLAC, and sticking my whole collection on a NAS. I may however, hold out for a playback chain that can handle multichannel FLAC files. (Anybody know if the Oppo BDP-93/95 can do this?) I think the writing is on the wall and the future of audio will not include spinning discs. The good news is that hi-rez audio is alive and well in the form of FLAC and other lossless compression formats, and will probably become easier find and purchase in the form of downloadable files on retail websites.
Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #84

The Best SACD I ever Had was Carole King's "Tapestry", I needed money and I sold it on Amazon for about 60 bucks, the going rate. It only played on SACD players, not all hybrids are so good. I still wish they stick around I have i great DVD audio, "High Lonesome Sound" by Vince Gill.
Fishman pickupsl
"John 3:16"
guit30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
abandoned, acura, audio, bluray, doomed, dvdaudio, formats, labels, make, player, sacd, sense, supports, universal, video