Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Old 07-28-2010   #73

Default Re: SACD and DVD-Audio, Doomed Formats?

One of the reasons I bought my Oppo DVD player was its ability to play SACD and DVD-A, so I have a bit invested in the life of those formats.

Unfortunately, I've been around long enough to see almost every format I've ever invested in go belly-up. I have a lot of quadraphonic vinyl, I have a lot of laser discs, and I have what I believe to be the world's largest collection of EVR films. It won't surprise me if the existing elite formats disappear, but hopefully there will be another format to replace them based on Blu-Ray.
barfle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #74

Sony added SACD playback via HDMI in all of the new players in case you haven't noticed. BDPS370,470,570 etc. Still slim pickens for software but musicdirect.com still posts the new releases along with all the new vinyl. Small studios are still producing. Should sign up for musicdirect's newsletter for updates. Bruce
bpl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010   #75

Exclamation Re: SACD and DVD-Audio, Doomed Formats?

I have an older Oppo digital universal disc player that is a dream for 168, have not had a bit of trouble with it, except Oppo d/ced it for a 499 Blu ray player that has all of the same universal disc quality -plays SACD, HDCD, DVD- audio
J
Fishman pickupsl
"John 3:16"
guit30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010   #76

Question Re: SACD and DVD-Audio, Doomed Formats?

DTS, !!, I played my Alison Krauss DVD back set on dts on my oppodigtal and how sweet it was
JIm
Fishman pickupsl
Old 08-07-2010   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by guit30 View Post
I have an older Oppo digital universal disc player that is a dream for 168, have not had a bit of trouble with it, except Oppo d/ced it for a 499 Blu ray player that has all of the same universal disc quality -plays SACD, HDCD, DVD- audio
J
OPPO still makes an entry level uni, the BDP-80, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD (SACD), HDCD, CD for adudio formats and It's also a Blu Ray player 299 I believe. The audio is claimed to be better than the original Oppo uni's, though not in the 83/83se class.
750 Sig's/200/300's/UFW-10, Rotel 1065, Toshiba DVD-9200, AA DDS-Pro, P1a(SOCS)/P3a level2/P3b level 1 (P1/P3 EA'd), BPT 2.5 Ultra, QSymphony Pro, Sennheiser HD600/Equinox, GSP Solo,Xfeed, 20a dedicated circuit, 8thNerve
Ronm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010   #78

Thanks for the heads up, but the BP80 does not convert SACD to dts thru it's analog output like the old 980, only gives you a pcm equivalent, thru hdmi, it will give true SACD> , otherwise, it's the same,but I don't have a reciever that would convert SACD, like my 980 does, hope it lasts a long time
Jim
Fishman pickupsl
Sponsored Links

Tags
abandoned, acura, audio, bluray, doomed, dvdaudio, formats, labels, make, player, sacd, sense, supports, universal, video