Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Old 11-23-2007   #55

Default Re: SACD and DVD-Audio, Doomed Formats?

You may be right...after all, I think the last 8-tracks cassettes and players were found in cars too, and it really made a difference .

Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of DVDA and am dissappointed that it floats like a lead balloon these days.

Besides, it's not whether the DVDA all play on your DVDA player (of course they should do that!!). It is whether they will play on any of the blue disc players. If not then that surely leaves the SACD/DVDA formats cut off from future hardware support.

Last edited by ncpl; 11-23-2007 at 03:15 AM..
ncpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007   #56

Wink Re: SACD and DVD-Audio, Doomed Formats?

^^^^
My TL actually has a cassette player in it as well (Never been used, but I digress).

However, I don't believe that this is a valid comparison. 8-tracks and cassettes were well established formats for their time. Auto maker support for either of the Hi-res format COULD have gone a long way towards one or both establishing a beachhead in the marketplace.

And, I was not referring to a DVD-A player, the LG BH-200 is a combo HD-DVD Blu-Ray player. Through its Bitstream out, it sent 5.1 to my receiver, something my two DVRs (Panasonic DMR-E85H and Sony RDR-HX715) would not do. Of course, the Sony would not even play it at all! But, to be fair, I doubt the Panasonic would have played a SACD.
pws442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007   #57

I am wondering if the LG player was playing the DTS or DD track, 24/192 DVD-A disc will only play on a DVD-A player. If this is the case, then any DVD player would reproduce the disc.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007   #58

Re: ncpl's post: Why be concerned for Blu-ray players not being able to play SACDs or DVD-As when as far as I know most don't even play standard CDs?? At least my Pioneer doesn't.

Re: pws442 post: There's not nearly enough DVD-As available to worry about playback in vehicles. Best solution is a matrix surround decoder such as Circle Surround - then most ordinary CDs provide an excellent surround field. Mine even derives an improved soundfield from my old mono cassettes! Short of that just wire the rear car speakers to the + terminals of the stereo amp for the Haefler effect - 100% better than putting the rears in parallel with the fronts!
henry33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007   #59

Angry Re: SACD and DVD-Audio, Doomed Formats?

Some may disagree about whether there is enough inventory of dvd-a`s, BUT LIKE i`VE BEEN SAYING, AND YOU GUYS MAYBE TIRED OF ME SAYING IT, those of us with high res inventory, have it, like it, want to play it, should be able too play it, but may or not be able to play it.
Or, we have 4 or 5 machines in our already crowded racks with eject buttons to play a CD.

That my friends is where the problems lie. No unity, no compromise, more confusion, more units to buy, no standards, so we have what we have now. When, When is the high end community going to understand that this is not the way. So, if you got it like that, you have a cd player, dvd player, sacd or dvd-a player, or universal player, and now either a Blu-Ray player, or Toshiba HD DVD player, or both, or a combo player. And with all these sources, not ONE OF THEM will play all of them. You do the count and the math.

We have not mentioned the rest of the system. This lack of uniformity will never bring other clients to embrace the high end. Add in the software and firmware updates, it just lends itself to more chaos. So, people say, to heck with this, let me by my I - pod, go on Limewire and download illegally some good ole` music in nasty mp3, put on my earbuds and keep it moving.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007   #60

I just discovered this thread and am surprised to find that, even with all these postings, there is no mention of distribution of hi-rez content without physical media (disks). Even today, you can download 24-bit, 96kHz, multichannel music content over the internet, store it on a RAID drive in your closet, and render it at any location in your home with a network connection with all the quality of a prime DVD-A disk spinner. Of course, these files are huge and can require significant download times even with broadband connection, but the data rates to the home are continuing to get faster. The US is far behind many other countries in this regard as many other locations (e.g. South Korea) have data rates ten times what's available here.

I completely agree with the frustration expressed in this thread about how poorly the AV manufacturers have performed in providing easy-to-use, state-of-the-art devices for rendering hi-rez, multichannel audio content. Other than a hi-end Media Center PC, I don't know of any device that could access hi-rez, multichannel content on a network server and play it. Boxes like the Transporter are great, but they're only two channel and can't be integrated into an A/V system (no DD or DTS decoding).
CharlyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
abandoned, acura, audio, bluray, doomed, dvdaudio, formats, labels, make, player, sacd, sense, supports, universal, video