Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Old 06-12-2012   #1

Default Sony Soundbar and Receiver???

Ok this might be a silly question, but I want to know if I can run my Pioneer receiver and sony soundbar at the same time?

I have a Sony Bravia TV. Pioneer VSX-1019AH Receiver and just got a Sony HT-CT550W soundbar.

Now the Sony soundbar comes with it's own video inputs and output as well as my receiver, but what I am trying to do is use my Pioneer mainly for all my video and main sound, but then hook up my Sony Soundbar for additional sound.

Is it possible?

Thanks for the help.
FlyBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Sony Soundbar and Receiver???

It may depend on information you didn't tell us. For example, if you are using a satellite or cable receiver then you should be able to run the HDMI cable from the satellite or cable receiver to the sound bar and another HDMI cable from the sound bar to the TV. Then assuming you have the audio return channel capabilities in the HDTV, the audio for the sound bar could be controlled by the TV remote. Then the optical audio could connect the surround receiver.

But since you didn't specify the particular model of the HDTV and the particular sound bar and how your TV service is received, there could be many other possibilities. The short answer is yes you can run them both, the how is going to be dependent on additional details.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #3

Sorry about that. Here is the info you requested:

Sony Bravia KDL-52W4100 (Which I believe does NOT have ARC)
Cox Communications Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8240HDC (HD DVR)

My current setup is the TV hooked up to the Pioneer via HDMI. Then the cable box hooked up to the receiver as well with HDMI. There is only one HDMI port out of the cable box, but there is a component video connection. Currently there is only sound coming from the receiver. I have tried to set the TV up in it's settings to the speakers but I don't get any sound through the TV. I am assuming this is because of no ARC on the HDMI.

I have tried using a digital optical cable as well as the standard RCA cables from the TV to the Sony Soundbar, but have not been able to get it to work. The sound bar comes with it's own receiver and sub. I am still stumped on how to get this to work.

I appreciate the help!
FlyBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #4
Administrator

What many people have done is to use a HDMI splitter(one in - two out) like one of these: http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...=hdmi+splitter Don't use a passive version.

That will allow the HDMI to feed through the Pioneer like you currently have as well as to the soundbar. You may need to use two remotes.

Alternately, you might try connecting the cable box to the soundbar via HDMI and then out of the soundbar to the TV via HDMI. Then use an optical cable between the cable box and the Pioneer.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, bar, hdmi, hook, pioneer, powered, receiver, reciever, running, sony, sound, soundbar, surround, tv, vbulletin, video, work