Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Old 02-12-2010   #19

Default Re: best system for senior classical music listener

granite rocks. thank you for the recommendations. You are talking to a grandmother here, so not interested in upgrading each year. Neadless to say, the audio set will be in my own room. away from toddler OJ spills. Now if a grandbaby shows interest or talent in music, then I can begin to initiate her into equipment IS NOT A TOY, and doesn't this sound great?

What is your opinion of buying Linn 2nd hand on Ebay or similar sites? The famous turntables are being offered for around $US1000, and someone in London was offering a CD player, the last one before they quit making them, I think, for $2000. I would not begin to know how to adjust and balance. Is there some knid of old fashioned book like product which might explain for us fogeys who still use print media?
Nastarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010   #20

Nastarana,

I would be a very hesistant to purchase a used turntable on line. You would be better off buying a used table from a local dealer that can support you with the set up. I once purchased a Sota Star on ebay and the guy didn't package it right. It was a total mess. I took almost nine months for me to get my money back. To this day it is my worst experince ever buying some thing on an auction site.

I would consider buying new on line from a dealer, but never used. I just sent an email to my friend that only listens to vinyl to see if there are any books out there. If he knows of one I will let you know.
graniterocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010   #21

Nastarana

My buddy said no books on turntables that he knows of. He suggested this site:

http://www.vinylengine.com/

There are a lot of helpful tips on this site.

JD
Old 02-14-2010   #22

graniterocks, Thank you for the referral to the website. I will check it out. I once had a fine collection of vinyl, now long gone (don't ask, but I now have my father's meticulously maintained opera recordings. and classical LPs are turning up in 2nd hand outlets for cheap. One must always check carefully of course for warps and scratches, but classical music lovers did usually take good care of their albums. OTOH, I did see a badly warped LP recording of Don Carlo with a dream cast (Price, Domingo, et al) offered at an antique store. When I pointed out the warpage to the proprietor, he just shrugged it off.
Nastarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastarana View Post
graniterocks, Thank you for the referral to the website. I will check it out. I once had a fine collection of vinyl, now long gone (don't ask, but I now have my father's meticulously maintained opera recordings. and classical LPs are turning up in 2nd hand outlets for cheap. One must always check carefully of course for warps and scratches, but classical music lovers did usually take good care of their albums. OTOH, I did see a badly warped LP recording of Don Carlo with a dream cast (Price, Domingo, et al) offered at an antique store. When I pointed out the warpage to the proprietor, he just shrugged it off.
That must drive you crazy seeing these turn up at local stores. Just curious do you have a record cleaner?

Also, check your mailbox, I sent you a private message.

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2012   #24

Thank you for the most informative response.

I had been thinking of visiting a good audio store as you suggest. I mostly listen to vocal music, both songs and opera and to chamber music and baroque. I am not really a symphony listener jade, and I am afraid the huge works of the late 19thC, Brahms, Bruckner, Wagner, etc., leave me cold. It is important to me to be able clearly to hear the entire range of the human voice, from coloratura soprano, to all the overtones of voices like Pavarotti and Florez, to the gravelly notes of Christoph. I am finding that while my budget set from Walmart, Sony from abour 1995, is acceptable if not excellent in the middle range, I am not hearing high or low very well. Bass-baritone voices (think Louis Armstrong, or Boris Christoph) all tend to sound alike, for example.

Also, for baroque music listening, and I am an enthusiast for that period, it is important to distinguish the different instruments used. Baroque composers did not compose for huge orchestras, so I would not want a wall of sound effect. My second favorite part of the classical repertoire is opera of the bel canto period, so I need clearly to be able to hear all the vocal ornaments, purotechniques, shadings used by singers in that repertoire, as well as the orchestral accompaniment. (Don't get me started on how Verdian singers should stick to Verdi and similar repertoire and not attempt Rossini!)

I do appreciate "the lecture". I have been reading online that one should start with the speakers, and work back from them. It did sound somewhat counterintuitive, so I am glad to have my intuition confirmed.

Linn turntables are available on ebay for around $US1000. How important are cables and other connectors? I gather that any old cable from the 99cents store will not do?
jade30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, budget, cds, classical, listener, mp3, music, players, quality, setup, sound, sounding, speakers, steroe, system