Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Source Components (http://www.avrev.com/forum/source-components-6/)
-   -   Break-in period fo CD player...myth or reality ? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/source-components/4270-break-period-fo-cd-player-myth-reality.html)

Mcintosh Man 11-25-2009 08:17 PM

Break-in period fo CD player...myth or reality ?

I have read on many Audio Forums on the Web that a break-in period is required to obtain better results with audio equipment.

I agree that a break-in period is necessary for speaker in general and sub-woofer as their suspension and cone needs to move to get flexibility and therefore a better sounding loudspeaker.

I also believe that an amplifier needs break-in but is it really necessary for a CD Player ?

Is it an urban legend or a myth that circulate on the web mainly for Cambridge 740C/840C CD Player stipulating 200 hours of break-in absolutely necessity before they sound as they should ?

I'm looking for a technical explanation based on facts on why a CD player needs 200 hours of break-in before it sounds good.

The reason I'm asking is :

1- it seems to be the same information ciculating on the Web about the Cambridge's 740C/840C needs 200 hours of break-in and I'm in the process of buying either one

2- yesterday I listened to a Cambridge 840C vs a Rega and the Rega Apollo sounded much better on a A to B comparison and I wonder if it has to do with break-in not being done on the Cambridge.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to discreditate what is written on the Web I just need to validate the iinformation based on facts as I never read a CD Player User Manual saying it needs such a break-in period.

Hoping to get a technical answer, thanks.

Note: Granted there's an technical explanation, can you please provide a procedure on how to break-in a CD Player...put a CD in the Player and go on repeat for 200 hours with interconnect cables to the amplifier with the volume set at what level ???

Mcintosh Man 11-25-2009 09:42 PM

Re: Break-in period fo CD player...myth or reality ?

I forgot to say this...

If CD Player do need break-in wouldn't be more convenient for this break-in to be done at the factory before sending the CD Player to the resellers ?

Loves2Watch 11-28-2009 02:34 PM

CD players will not really benefit from any sort of break in as they have no power amplifiers...

serenity737 12-05-2009 12:33 PM

I recently purchased a Cambridge 840C and decided to test this out for myself. After installing I listened for the first 10 hours. I then placed the player in repeat mode and ran it for approximately 200 hours varying discs from time to time. I listened again to the original source material I reviewed during the initial 10 hours. Myth ... no difference.

As an aside, the 840C is an outstanding player, excellent value, well worth the expense.

Best,

Mike

docrings 12-17-2009 02:09 AM

OF COURSE IT MATTERS!!!!! Re: Break-in period fo CD player...myth or reality ?

Doesn't the laser diode need the time to collimate the atomic crystalline silicone structure for increased coherency and optical density? Doesn't anyone care about quality burn-in anymore? A pox on all the bourgeois home theater cretins out there!

For $500, you can mail your CD and Blu-Ray players to me (triple packing in Egyptian cotton, and anti-static wraps), and I will ensure they are burned-in properly for 200 hours, in an HVAC controlled environment, with pure conditioned power under a pyramidal ceiling home theater laboratory. No burn-in will last longer than six hours a night. Seriously, that's less than minimum wage!!! My prices will have to increase in time, so get in NOW.

Please also send your favorite discs so that the molecular memory of your circuitry will ensure flawless, nay, enhanced, playback when the unit is returned to your home. Remember, it's not just the TIME of burn-in, but the content QUALITY, too. There is no way I'm burning-in a quality Blu-Ray player with substandard "B" movie content without DTS or Dolby soundtracks, as 2.0 stereo signals will just bypass critical acoustic circuitry, and render your player's audio output as bland, shrill, empty and lacking "warmth".
Note: discs are not returnable, as the optical pitting will be slightly chamfered on a sub-atomic level, and may cause random, but possibly perceptible optical and video drop-out. My expertise is knowing almost exactly when this happens, and it just happens to be around 200 hours of playback... there is no way you would want a used Blu-Ray disc back. It's fit for the dumpster after aiding in a quality burn-in. Re-using discs is for the middle-class videophile "wanna-be" and "noobs"... don't be one of *those*, and I won't let you. I'm your friend.

Folks, this is all makes sense on a quantum physics level... each atom of the transistor and IC-Video chip and audio decoder pathways are "self-aware", and know what is playing in all parts of the unit... your player has feelings (in a quantum physics, kind of way, mind you). I just can't stand folks that don't understand this... but I'm patient and kind and will help you. Obviously, you know what just makes common sense and of course, this does.

PM me for payment and mailing information.

;)

Mcintosh Man 01-20-2010 09:01 PM

Finally I chose an OPPO BDP-83 SE

...and YES I'm doing a break-in period 7/24 for full week