Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Old 08-10-2007   #25

Default Re: Absolute best source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
The absolute best source? I once heard a Musical Fidelity player run through a Conrad Johnson 40W integrated tube amp driving a pair of horn speakers that sounded about as good as anything I've ever listened to. In fact, it was the first time I've ever heard a horn speaker that didn't rip my ears off. Living in Oklahoma doesn't afford me much chance to audition many of the higher end players. In fact, the shop that had this equipment closed its doors a while back narrowing my opportunities even more.

I'm left reading forums and websites looking for reviewers whose tastes (and budget) seem to parallel mine. And then to the internet I go. I'm currently using a Marantz DV9600 which pleases me just fine. I yearn to hear an Esoteric X-03, but alas, circuit city doesn't have them.
Hi Butch, I happen to live in Oklahoma too (Tulsa area). If your interested in the Esoteric stuff I know a great shop in Bartelsville that has several models in stock and the last time I was in, their flagship units. it's a bit of a drive but I think it would be worth it. As I said in an earlier post, I got to meet the Esoteric factory rep a couple of weeks ago. He was very informative.
tlqualman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #26

Tlqualman,

You're not the first to suggest that there is a shop in Bartelsville worth visiting. I've never seen the name or address of the place. Do you happen to know either?

You're not that far from Accoustic Sounds in Kansas. Ever been there?
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #27

Butch, I sent you the name and contact info for the shop in Bartelsville in a private msg. As far as having been to Acoustic Sounds, I haven't yet but plan to go there this fall if the have the blues fest. I have always wanted to go visit them and their Blue Heaven studio as I enjoy many of their recordings. Have you ever been up there? To get somewhat back on topic, since I am looking for a new digital source does anyone have a suggestion for some good material for demos? I don't mind what format as I am looking for a universal player.
Old 08-13-2007   #28

CD Gino D'Auri Flamenco Passion on XRCD, simply one of the best recorded CD's I've ever heard, and a great guitar disc to boot.

DVD-A Guitar Noir AIX records
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007   #29
jbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlqualman View Post
Butch, I sent you the name and contact info for the shop in Bartelsville in a private msg. As far as having been to Acoustic Sounds, I haven't yet but plan to go there this fall if the have the blues fest. I have always wanted to go visit them and their Blue Heaven studio as I enjoy many of their recordings. Have you ever been up there? To get somewhat back on topic, since I am looking for a new digital source does anyone have a suggestion for some good material for demos? I don't mind what format as I am looking for a universal player.
I would like to make a few suggestions:
First, I would take music that I'm familiar with or really like to demo equipment. This way you can listen for the things that the reviewers talk about when they review equipment: soundstage, congestion(hopefully the lack of), spacial separation of the instruments, placement of instruments, attack on the drums, vocal reproduction, etc.

For example: On Kind of Blue there is a noticable change between the sax players and the drummer plays a cymbal that just kind of hangs just above the right speaker on the first or second track.

As for recordings:
I take Patricia Barber on XRCD Companion and Diana Krull for female voice, piano and jazz genre. Also, Bill Evans on XRCD and Miles and Coltrane, Kind of Blue.
In Rock, I'll take Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon and Pulse. On Darkside, the track with all the with all the clocks and gongs should be hanging in space at the end of the track by the left speaker then they segway into the next track with the conga (I think at the start).
And, I like to take live acoustic CD's like Eric Clapton Unplugged, Niel Young and Nirvanna.
Lastly, take Dallas Wind Symphony Arnold for band, Trittico and Reiner Chicago Symphony Scherherazade XRCD.

Wrapping up: I don't have much experience with DVD-A recording. I would just suggest buying one or two that you know to get a feel of what is out there that you can take to demo.

And, do you want a one box solution or transport/DAC solution? If you have a local dealer then maybe you could audition something at home that you hear in the store. One box players you might consider the AYRE and ESOTERIC players from what I've read they are quite good.

jbk.
jbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007   #30

thanks jbk and eveyone for your suggestions on demo material in my quest for a new universal player. I will order several of them and start listening to them in my current system before I go looking again. I am lucky, I do have a Estoeric dealer not to far away that will let me bring stuff home over the weekend for a good listen. I will have to look into the Arye player, I don't know of anyone near me but I do get to travel some so will look around when I am out of town.
Sponsored Links

Tags
861v6, absolute, attachment, cdp, components, d01, dv50, esoteric, esoterics, g0rb, hdmi, meridian, nagra, sound, source, upgrade