Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Old 02-24-2008   #67

Default Re: Absolute best source?

The latest CDP price that I am aware of is $13,500 (remember, it also contains a full function preamp that performs as well as any that I've ever heard). There are also a new phono preamp board for $2,500 and a headphone amp board for $1,000.
PapaSquillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #68
wes

Cool Re: Absolute best source?

Choice one: Oppo DV-980H, and you have money left over for SACDs

or a bit more expensive,

Choice two: iPod with uncompressed files and The Wadia iTransport (SRP: $349)
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #69

Oppo is good, and it's cool that Wadia wants to expand their market share by helping MP3, to sound better, but the "absolute best source" for serious listening?

Except for the signal-to-noise ratio of the preamp section, the musicality in the'70's of a pair of ESS AMT 1 speakers on an old Yamaha receiver, using a Supex moving coil cartridge on a Dual turntable, blew away everything I've ever heard off of MP3.

Today's sound should be and is much, much better. Where can we send people to get spoiled these days? Any ideas?
Old 04-08-2008   #70
wes

Cool Re: Absolute best source?

Have you ever heard of wav files or apple lossless not Mp3!!!

I suggest you do a blinded experiment and try it out and see if you can hear a difference with CDs. Also check out studio master files ( size are several hundred megabyte per song not 1 or 2 mb) http://www.linnrecords.com/recording...ymphonies.aspx

I did a blinded source comparing with my kids which have much better hearing than adults, using the same music in different format of the same music and song

In order of best to worst:

-DSD SACD, Source Sony XA777ES SACD = Studio Master WAV WMA 24bit 88.2kHz played through iPod and Wadia

- WAV file, Source iPod and Wadia

- Apple Lossless, Source iPod

- CD, Sony XA777ES

- MP3 file with iPod

Equipment used for the test: Test was done both in Stereo and Multichannel

Audio
Speakers:
3 Bower & Wilkins Nautilus 802D (Left, Center, Right)
2 Bower & Wilkins Nautilus 802 (Surround side right, Surround side left)

Subwoofer: JL Audio Fathom F113
Amplifiers: Classé CA-5200 & Classé CA-2100
Surround Sound Processor 7.1: Integra Research RDC-7
Super Audio CD (SACD): Sony XA777ES (http://www.stereophile.com/hirezplayers/491/)
Music Server: iMac

Accessories:
Cables: Speaker cables: Kimber Kable 8TC, Interconnect Wireworld,
Power Conditioner: Furman
Electrical dedicated 20amp line

Dr. wes

Last edited by wes; 04-08-2008 at 08:04 PM..
Old 04-08-2008   #71

I guess I got too much into lamenting the latest listening habits of the many, instead of being specific with you. (You should have seen my FIRST draft!)

B&K 802's are sweet, and Classe is one of the most pleasant sounding lines of electronics. I've sold them both over the years. If you have something that's a bit rough on either of these, the edge will be delicately smoothed away and you'll be left with beautiful music.

My ideal is to have that effortlessness without having to hide anything.

I still expect that there are many players that will leave the Oppo in the dust, and that the Wadia is fairly pedestrian when it is compared to Wadia's other models on CD.

You do make a very valid and important point. If you mix and match right, and expect alot from your system, you can get very impressive sound from inexpensive components.

Still, the question was about the absolute best source...

I still would ask "Where can we send people today to get spoiled? Is there room for some new kind of audio/video specialty venue that gets people interested in high-definition audio to go along with their HDTV experience?

-PS
Old 04-09-2008   #72
wes

It would be nice to see Blu Ray jumping on the music side with 50GB they could have studio master recording with no loss!
Sponsored Links

Tags
861v6, absolute, attachment, cdp, components, d01, dv50, esoteric, esoterics, g0rb, hdmi, meridian, nagra, sound, source, upgrade