Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Old 02-22-2008   #61

Default Re: Absolute best source?

Yeah, It's on my list of toys to buy someday, just haven't gotten there yet!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #62

Location: The corner of the world where NC, TN and VA intersect at an elevation of 3,500'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
Just discovered this thread. Thanks guys.

While I give it a read-thru, tell me: I've had my Audio Alchemy DAC 3.0 and AA DTI PRO 32 Jitter Filter (with 20-bit resolution upconversion) for about 10 years.

Is there any DAC/Jitter-reduction solution out there for under or around $1K that is the considered the best bang-for-the-buck audiophile sound? I'm definitely one of those guys who can hear differences between transports and resolution-upconversion settings on the DTI PRO, so you don't need to convince me about the subtleties of audiophile sound.

thanks!

dave
You may end up hating me for this suggestion, but you might want to check out the Less Loss DAC.

Any company that uses an Aldous Huxley quote at the top of their web site is not going to be just any ordinary company. Particularly when the two principals hail from the state of Texas and the country of Lithuania.

At 3,000 Euros it's way more than $1,000, but the technical papers posted on their web site are a must-read for anyone interesting in reducing digital jitter in their system.

http://www.lessloss.com/

Their equipment is used in many professional studios.

They only sell direct and do not advertise, so I don't expect any of the traditional audiophile rags to even acknowledge their presence, but I'd sure like to hear one and form my own opinion.

But wait: Maybe Audio/Video Revolution can buy one and test it and report back to us, then run a contest and give it away. Hint, Hint, Hint to the Moderators.

And all this engineering and technology from a company HQ'd in Lithuania!
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."
---------------
Samuel P. Huntington
Vinyl Rules! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #63

Default Hint Hint

You are subtle like a hard-on in a leotard...

And for giving them a FREE linkback - I expect you to click on 10 of our ads before the end of day tomorrow!!!!

I will talk to Andrew about getting them one of our "quick reviews" on the relaunched site (coming soon)

j
Old 02-23-2008   #64

I've heard good things about this DAC, but not heard it personally.

In this large and ever changing world of HiFi, it's tough to see and hear it all, and impossible to get your hands on all the gear, even with a huge budget...
Old 02-23-2008   #65

I'm a blog virgin, so be gentle with me.

I had the fortune to live with the Aurum Acoustics CDP for almost a year. It uses the Anagram Quantum DAC. I have never heard anything that comes that close to the real live event. The closest that I heard before was the top EAD processor, may they rest in peace...

My wife is a world-class mezzosoprano, and I record her direct to CD at her events, and most players leave these simple 2-mic recordings in shambles.

The CDP's secret, besides Derrick Moss' fanaticism for refinement, is that it is also a state-of-the-art preamp. No wires in the way, perfect control of all the dangers of mix'n'match audio.

Access to all the reviews on it, every one stellar, is at www.aurumacoustics.com.

Have fun!

PS
PapaSquillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #66

I'm familiar with their amps, hadn't heard of their CD player, there are just so many companies out there it's tough to keep totally current.

what os the price of that player?
Sponsored Links

Tags
861v6, absolute, attachment, cdp, components, d01, dv50, esoteric, esoterics, g0rb, hdmi, meridian, nagra, sound, source, upgrade