Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Old 01-30-2009   #1

Lightbulb HDMI audio out?

I recently purchased a surround sound system but it doesn't have an audio out. I want to send an audio output to my Russound multiroom audio controller. It does have a HDMI out.... can I get just an audio signal from the HDMI cable? If so, how?

Thanks.
golfrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009   #2
wes

Default Re: HDMI audio out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfrobot View Post
I recently purchased a surround sound system but it doesn't have an audio out. I want to send an audio output to my Russound multiroom audio controller. It does have a HDMI out.... can I get just an audio signal from the HDMI cable? If so, how?

Thanks.
Yes get an HDMi cable
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009   #3

Okay. I have the HDMI cable and pinouts but it doesn't show which ones are audio. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
golfrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009   #4
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfrobot View Post
Okay. I have the HDMI cable and pinouts but it doesn't show which ones are audio. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
HDMi passes both Audio and Video
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #5

What kind of home theater system did you get? What most home theater systems have is a setting, usually in the audio menu that allows you to turn on/off audio output from your home theater system. There are some that will not pass audio at all.
Aaron Coffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009   #6

Smile Re: HDMI audio out?

HDMI is strictly digital. http://www.interfacebus.com/HDMI_Pinout_Bus.html#top shows a pin ID of the respective pins of an HDMI connector. From what I remember reading, the digital signals passed by HDMI have copy protection encoding. So, in order to extract the audio portion from the cable, it would first have to be fed to and through a component with an HDMI input. The component must have copy protection encryption capabilities, a D to A converter, and RCA output jacks. In other words, for all practical purposes, the answer, in this particular instance is no. My suggestion is to get a separate AV receiver that will accept HDMI input and has separate analog audio output capabilities. Hope that this has been of some help.
Eargasm7.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, center, extract, hdmi, hmdi, media, pc, send, separate, seperate, signal, signals, sound, strip, video