Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Source Components (http://www.avrev.com/forum/source-components-6/)
-   -   OPPO DV-983H (http://www.avrev.com/forum/source-components/2620-oppo-dv-983h.html)

HT Junky 10-12-2008 02:30 PM

OPPO DV-983H

I have been having sporadic issues playing back various standard DVDs on every Bluray player I have owned thus far, so I decided get the OPPO DV983H player, based on all of the great reviews. I have a large library of DVDs and I was hoping the OPPO would play them back well enough that I would not feel compelled to re-buy every DVD in Bluray.

I'm really impressed this player. It's playback of DVDs better than any player I have had thus far. It's also a high quality SACD/DVD Audio player as well. It amazes me how these guys can make such a great product for such a reasonable price. I can't wait until their Bluray player is in production.

I'm not saying that it is s good as Bluray (because it isn't), but it is good enough that I have no problem watching my current DVD collection.

deacongreg 10-13-2008 09:23 AM

Re: OPPO DV-983H

Quote:

Originally Posted by HT Junky (Post 18106)
I have been having sporadic issues playing back various standard DVDs on every Bluray player I have owned thus far, so I decided get the OPPO DV983H player, based on all of the great reviews. I have a large library of DVDs and I was hoping the OPPO would play them back well enough that I would not feel compelled to re-buy every DVD in Bluray.

I'm really impressed this player. It's playback of DVDs better than any player I have had thus far. It's also a high quality SACD/DVD Audio player as well. It amazes me how these guys can make such a great product for such a reasonable price. I can't wait until their Bluray player is in production.

I'm not saying that it is s good as Bluray (because it isn't), but it is good enough that I have no problem watching my current DVD collection.

Listen,

That is a good thing. Sometimes I think we forget with all the reviews, tweaks, equipment, that it is about the music, and the enjoyment of it. Simply put. Anything that delays or hinders that experience, is a problem to me.

Please, enjoy, enjoy.

HT Junky 10-14-2008 04:51 AM

I called to inquire about their future Blu-ray player. I asked them if it was going to going to play DVDs, with the same ABT chipset that the DV-983H currently has. I also inquired whether it would play SACD/DVD Audio.

They seemed real "tight lipped" about it. I'm not sure if that is because:

a) It was still too early, and they did not want to tell me anything they were not sure of
b) They did not want to say for fear that I would not buy a current model

I called back and talked to a different person. Same answer: "I don't know the specifics yet". They have a great reputation as a company, and their customer service folks were real friendly and knowledgable. It just seams that they should have the specifics locked down by now, if they are planning on an early 2009 release.

wes 10-14-2008 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HT Junky (Post 18136)
I called to inquire about their future Blu-ray player. I asked them if it was going to going to play DVDs, with the same ABT chipset that the DV-983H currently has. I also inquired whether it would play SACD/DVD Audio.

They seemed real "tight lipped" about it. I'm not sure if that is because:

a) It was still too early, and they did not want to tell me anything they were not sure of
b) They did not want to say for fear that I would not buy a current model

I called back and talked to a different person. Same answer: "I don't know the specifics yet". They have a great reputation as a company, and their customer service folks were real friendly and knowledgable. It just seams that they should have the specifics locked down by now, if they are planning on an early 2009 release.

Same here, they just don't want to let the cat out of the bag yet. Also they are still testing it from what I heard. What I know is that the design will b the smae as the one at CEDIA!

deacongreg 10-14-2008 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wes (Post 18141)
Same here, they just don't want to let the cat out of the bag yet. Also they are still testing it from what I heard. What I know is that the design will b the smae as the one at CEDIA!

HT Junky,

I guess we`ll just have to wait, and see.

wes 10-23-2008 03:29 PM

Hopefully we will get it before year end and I wonder how it will compare to the Sony BDP-S550 $329?