Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Source Components (http://www.avrev.com/forum/source-components-6/)
-   -   DA Converters (http://www.avrev.com/forum/source-components/2521-da-converters.html)

TheDamned 09-21-2008 01:33 PM

DA Converters

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a company who sells a DA converter with multiple SPDIF inputs that can be selected based on which component you want to listen to. The only ones that I have found up to this point are offered on Proaudio style equipment and the other one I saw that is not a Proaudio type is made by Esoteric and costs like $14K. I'm looking for something in the $3K and under range that offers 24bit/192K conversion features.

I'm not sure why having more then one input is not a more available option on the majority of converters on the market since most folks almost always have more then one component they would like to be able to run through a DA converter. It seems a bit silly to have to reach around the back of your system and swap cables between components if you want to do this. Please feel free to enlighten me if there is another way to enjoy these benefits without manually swapping cables that doesn't sacrifice sound quality.

I guess if I can't find a way to do this then I will have to set my sites on the Proaudio arena and go that route. I know Apogee makes some very good stuff in my price range that the studios use to produce the CD's we buy so sound quality shouldn't be a concern there I guess.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

TheDamned 09-22-2008 04:44 PM

Re: DA Converters

OK, so I am going to partialy answer my own question here. After many hours of internet searching I came up with a brand that offers more then one SPDIF input that appears to be decent and within my price range. It's made by a company named AprilMusic found here http://www.aprilmusic.com/main/sub02_03_01.html

If there are any others please feel free to post them

DaViD Boulet 09-23-2008 08:16 PM

My long outdated audio alchemy 3.0 has more than one SPDIF input... a toslink, coax, balanced XLR digital, and their proprietary jitter-free connection for use with an outboard reclocking device.

Paul_Riordan 09-23-2008 11:09 PM

Stand alone DA Converters seem to be a bit of a dying breed. I'm still using my Theta Gen Va

Cyrus DAC X - Digital Inputs - 6 SPDIF (4 coaxial, 2 optical)
Musical Fidelity - Digital inputs 1 USB 1.1 [32, 44.1, 48 kHz sample rates] connection for computer only, 3 S/PDIF (RCA connector)

Hope this helps.

The Kipnis Studios 09-23-2008 11:17 PM

Re: Theta D/A Converters!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_Riordan (Post 17838)
Stand alone DA Converters seem to be a bit of a dying breed. I'm still using my Theta Gen Va

Cyrus DAC X - Digital Inputs - 6 SPDIF (4 coaxial, 2 optical)
Musical Fidelity - Digital inputs 1 USB 1.1 [32, 44.1, 48 kHz sample rates] connection for computer only, 3 S/PDIF (RCA connector)

Hope this helps.

I completely stand behind my Theta Generation VIIIc D/As. They are the single highest resolution, most transparent converter anywhere on the market. And I've tried everything that is commercially, or non-commercially available.

And, they have three S/PDIF inputs, all with superior jitter rejection and reclocking :-)

You could do far worse as the centerpiece of your sound system - but it will cost you :-)

Go THETA!

gorodnitzki 09-24-2008 07:41 AM

How many SPDIF inputs do you need? Benchmark has a DAC1 with BNC, XLR and Toslink, in addition to a USB, and you can switch among inputs via the front panel. It sounds good and lists for $1275.
Audio Research has a new solid state DAC7 with BNC, RCA, XLR, Toslink and USB. It sounds great and lists for $3495. You can select inputs on the front panel and it comes with a remote for switching inputs and some other functions.
In either case, you can use an adapter to go from RCA to BNC or to go from BNC to RCA if you need another input.