Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Old 07-02-2008   #7

Default Re: MULTICHANNEL SACD PLAYER HELP!

You could just use a PS3 until you decide on a high-end SACD player.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008   #8
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
You could just use a PS3 until you decide on a high-end SACD player.
Well I don't want to have to change too many times.
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
I want to be "bypassing any D/A conversion in the player" and use only one cable instead of six?
Wes,

I can see your point, but to me, I find my Teac Esoteric DV-50s is WAY better than any pre/pro (except the Meridian 861v4) at decoding the audio, and if you use HDMI, you can't sent the DVD-A with it.

Maybe you would be better served with a good universal player, like the DV-50, and use the 5.1 analogs into the Classe' SSP 800 as I suspect it will have a very good analog section.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #10
wes

Cool Re: MULTICHANNEL SACD PLAYER HELP!

So I still need help identifying a good SACD capable of decoding DSD and be able to connect HDMi 1.3

Also I don't want to spend more than a couple thousand $ so the Esoteric SA-60 at $4600 USD is too rich for my blood.
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
So I still need help identifying a good SACD capable of decoding DSD and be able to connect HDMi 1.3

Also I don't want to spend more than a couple thousand $ so the Esoteric SA-60 at $4600 USD is too rich for my blood.
I think your only current multichannel choices are the Oppo 980(under $200; 7.1 channel) and 981(over $200; 5.1 channel) plus the Pioneer EliteDV-58AV($500; 5.1 channel) for DSD via HDMI. Kal Rubinson has reviewed all 3 in Stereophile, and he says they are all close, with the Pioneer being slightly better. He preferred the sound of the Pioneer in DSD, but he used the Oppo's with the player doing a translation to PCM, which he thought sounded best. I have the Oppo 980, and I am extremely happy with it going into an Integra DTC 9.8. I think I prefer it in DSD format. As you probably know from my previous postings, I have never heard better sound than this anywhere, and I have heard some extremely expensive 2-channel systems. The Oppo + Integra replaced reference grade 2-channel components costing about 8x as much in my > $50K system
fitzcaraldo215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
13, 981, channel, dsd, hd, hdmi, multi, multichannel, oppo, output, player, players, sacd, sdacd, transport