Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Old 05-14-2008   #1

Default CD/DVD Players as Transports

I read a lot of reviews of A/V gear and in most CD/DVD player reviews the reviewers talk a lot about sound quality differences via analog outputs but I've never seen a good discussion of differences in players used simply as transports feeding an A/V receiver. I understand with DVD players there will be differences in picture quality between different players but I don't have a good grasp of differences in sound quality when a player is used simply as a transport. As a concrete example, I currently have an Oppo DV-980H DVD player that I use as I guess what you would call a digital transport (connected to my Integra DTC-9.8 via HDMI) and have read reviews of the new Oppo DV-983H and am wondering if I would get any sonic benefit upgrading this player (I realize the picture quality would improve but to be honest I'm not sure I would notice a huge difference in my set-up, same could probably be said of the audio as well!). To achieve better sound is it that I need to find better DAC's than the Integra and connect it using analog cables (though I've read the Integra's analog section isn't that great) or is there also variations among players used as a transport?
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #2

Default Re: CD/DVD Players as Transports

Their are differences instilled by different transports and when using players as transport, this is often attributed to jitter control from better transports (jitter is small time like errors in the bits)

I would encourage you to play with what you have first, try hooking the Oppo to the Integra with analog audio cables (5.1) and see what you find, you might like it better or not, but you'll know.

What level of difference will depend on you and your ears, the system you own, etc.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #3

Default Re: CD/DVD Players as Transports

Certainly, things have changed. Before the start of "Home Theater", having a top of the line digital transport for a 2 channel system, was the thing to have back in the day.

What a difference a few years make.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, cd, cddvd, differences, dvd, player, players, playes, quality, sound, transport, transports