Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Old 02-07-2008   #1

Default Has anyone used a PlayStation 3 as a SACD player ? Real Question...

I just bought one to be a blu-ray DVD player and a DVD player. I have not had a chance to use it yet because I am still working through the connection options to my tube pre-amp for the audio portion of the playback.

I hope that it will be a good DVD and blu-ray player. I have a good DAC. Using the digital optical out of the PS3 I am hoping for good CD sound and DVD sound, mostly because the DAC I have reclocks the stream. Meitner bitstream DAC...

But, if I understand SACD, it can't go through a DAC. Therefore, I am limited to the weird PS3 multi-AV out converting to RCA by a cable adapter as the only way to connect it to my pre-amp for playing SACDs. Have you done this ? What can I expect as far as sound quality ? For $400 I suppose that I can't expect a great DVD, blu-Ray, CD and SACD player that just happens to be a great gaming component, but I am hoping that it is at least OK to good in all of these regards. I am the most skeptical about its SACD prowess.

Any personal experience with the PS3 in any capacity would be appreciated. I have read everything from glowing to terrible reports on this unit for DVD and audio quality. I think that the firmware version has a lot to do with the variability.

Thanks,

b
brjoon1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #2

Default Re: Has anyone used a PlayStation 3 as a SACD player ? Real Question...

I believe you have to use the HDMI out on the PS3 for SACD, I am not sure if it goes through analog outs.

I have used my briefly as a Blu-ray player but every stand alone player I have ever owned was superior in picture and sound so it is a dedicated gaming system now.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #3

I have heard good things about its SACD playback.
Old 02-11-2008   #4

While I don't have a large collection of SACD's I can say they sound the same as far as I can tell whether played on my PS3 through HDMI or through my Sony DVP NS3100ES through analogue connections.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #5

I've been using the PS3 as an SACD player since its launch, and it works really well. I do not have an HDMI equipped receiver yet, so I've been using 2 channel analog output via a Monster Cable Multi A/V cable.

The best route is to use either 2 channel analog out, which sounds great, or HDMI for multichannel 5.1 SACD tracks. Your other alternative is to use the digital optical connection and it will transfer 2 channel SACD tracks at a sampling rate of 176.4kHz.

The PS3 sounds really good for SACD and Redbook CD playback, and it rivals my Yamaha SACD player, the DVD-S2500. You can find out more at www.ps3sacd.com
kingofgrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #6
wes

Cool Re: Has anyone used a PlayStation 3 as a SACD player ? Real Question...

Will the new PS3 support SACD, I though Sony stopped providing SACD support with the PS3!!
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
80g, amp, blu, cd, connect, playback, players, playstation, ps3, quality, ray, read, sacd, sound, tube