Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Source Components (http://www.avrev.com/forum/source-components-6/)
-   -   Has anyone used a PlayStation 3 as a SACD player ? Real Question... (http://www.avrev.com/forum/source-components/1553-has-anyone-used-playstation-3-sacd-player-real-question.html)

brjoon1021 02-08-2008 12:25 AM

Has anyone used a PlayStation 3 as a SACD player ? Real Question...

I just bought one to be a blu-ray DVD player and a DVD player. I have not had a chance to use it yet because I am still working through the connection options to my tube pre-amp for the audio portion of the playback.

I hope that it will be a good DVD and blu-ray player. I have a good DAC. Using the digital optical out of the PS3 I am hoping for good CD sound and DVD sound, mostly because the DAC I have reclocks the stream. Meitner bitstream DAC...

But, if I understand SACD, it can't go through a DAC. Therefore, I am limited to the weird PS3 multi-AV out converting to RCA by a cable adapter as the only way to connect it to my pre-amp for playing SACDs. Have you done this ? What can I expect as far as sound quality ? For $400 I suppose that I can't expect a great DVD, blu-Ray, CD and SACD player that just happens to be a great gaming component, but I am hoping that it is at least OK to good in all of these regards. I am the most skeptical about its SACD prowess.

Any personal experience with the PS3 in any capacity would be appreciated. I have read everything from glowing to terrible reports on this unit for DVD and audio quality. I think that the firmware version has a lot to do with the variability.

Thanks,

b

kennyt 02-08-2008 03:56 AM

Re: Has anyone used a PlayStation 3 as a SACD player ? Real Question...

I believe you have to use the HDMI out on the PS3 for SACD, I am not sure if it goes through analog outs.

I have used my briefly as a Blu-ray player but every stand alone player I have ever owned was superior in picture and sound so it is a dedicated gaming system now.

glocksout 02-11-2008 04:20 PM

I have heard good things about its SACD playback.

TheMoose 02-11-2008 06:20 PM

While I don't have a large collection of SACD's I can say they sound the same as far as I can tell whether played on my PS3 through HDMI or through my Sony DVP NS3100ES through analogue connections.

kingofgrills 04-11-2008 04:46 PM

I've been using the PS3 as an SACD player since its launch, and it works really well. I do not have an HDMI equipped receiver yet, so I've been using 2 channel analog output via a Monster Cable Multi A/V cable.

The best route is to use either 2 channel analog out, which sounds great, or HDMI for multichannel 5.1 SACD tracks. Your other alternative is to use the digital optical connection and it will transfer 2 channel SACD tracks at a sampling rate of 176.4kHz.

The PS3 sounds really good for SACD and Redbook CD playback, and it rivals my Yamaha SACD player, the DVD-S2500. You can find out more at www.ps3sacd.com

wes 04-11-2008 05:52 PM

Will the new PS3 support SACD, I though Sony stopped providing SACD support with the PS3!!