Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Old 02-06-2008   #13

Default Re: Are servers the new media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Lotus,

What did it cost you to have someone upload all your content? That must take a long time to do but be really nice once it's done. I know from my own personal experience uploading all my music took ~ a month of spare time a disc at a time.
$500. I was without my DVD collection for 2 weeks!

It will be $500 to have my CD collection put on the Arcam server too.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
How is it configured - 36 500GB disks? What sort of RAID array are you running? Can you tell me how you have all of those hard disks physically set up?
Eight WD My Book Pro Edition II, 2TB units in a Mirrored Raid Array.

The HTPC itself has four 500GB WD HDs in a Mirrored Raid Array.

For those wondering it's about $4500 worth of HD space.

Compare that to "DVD Server," prices!
Old 02-06-2008   #15

Lotus,

Both prices seem pretty reasonable, especially given the storage space you have (most servers cost way more) I suspect the prices will continue to drop as these go from high end rarities to common accessories.... Yeah!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #16

Quote:
Lotus,

Both prices seem pretty reasonable, especially given the storage space you have (most servers cost way more) I suspect the prices will continue to drop as these go from high end rarities to common accessories.... Yeah!
There arguement is going to be that DVD servers use more dependable HDs. I think the perfect DVD Server would just be a box that allowed you to add USB HDs to it. $500 gets you 2TB!
Old 02-07-2008   #17

None I am aware of seem to do this, many servers make a lot of $$ off selling extra space which seems pretty low to me, I suspect as I said they will have to drop it and allow people to add their own HD soon, I hope!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008   #18

Quote:
None I am aware of seem to do this, many servers make a lot of $$ off selling extra space which seems pretty low to me, I suspect as I said they will have to drop it and allow people to add their own HD soon, I hope!
Watch Apple do it.

Just watch. There is a market.
Sponsored Links

Tags
automation, control4, costs, disc, faber, forum, guarneri, hardware, house, loading, media, momento, new, ripping, sacd, server, sonus