Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Source Components (http://www.avrev.com/forum/source-components-6/)
-   -   Recommendation for a cd player (http://www.avrev.com/forum/source-components/1493-recommendation-cd-player.html)

rolexdaytona 01-24-2008 07:26 PM

Recommendation for a cd player

I would like some recommendations for a CD player. I was looking at some Arcam models, the cd73, the cd192(i think that's the number) and a cd82. I don't want to spend more than $800 for a player though. Any suggestions? thanks

deacongreg 01-24-2008 07:42 PM

Re: Recommendation for a cd player

Well, first I will say, that Arcam is certainly not a bad place to start. However, we need more information. Are you only going to be playing cds? Do you have any sacd`s or dvd-a`s? If so, you will need a universal player to be able to play all these formats. Do you plan on any multi-channel audio only listening?

Things we need to know.

rolexdaytona 01-24-2008 08:04 PM

Yes, I only plan to play cd's. I don't have any SACD's or DVD-A's either. I would like to start buying some SACD's if I could find them for music that i already have, e.g. anything Jimi Hendrix, jazz, latin jazz, blues, and latin music(highly doubt this one). Otherwise it's no big deal I'll stick with regular cd's. I don't listen to music multi-channel, strictly stereo.

deacongreg 01-24-2008 08:17 PM

Well, that does close the gap slightly. However, though we seem to be in a decline with high res cds, sacds and dvd-a`s are still being made. Telarc (mostly hybrid/sacd`s, very good though!!) and Mobile Fidelity are two companies that are right at this moment still producing them.
Both, especially Telarc, do have jazz titles. I`ve purchased from both. In fact, Telarc`s jazz label is Heads Up International. If you go to Telarcs website, and click on Headsup, you will get the complete list of jazz sacds, and be able to sample most of them. And there is a little latin jazz as well.

Back to the cd. My first thought is the Oppo 980 universal player. At under $200.00, its hard to beat, will play just about any disc, and will not break the bank. I think, since you can get a universal player for under $800.00, that is how to go. Then, you will not be limited by any format. Also, I would check our reviews on avrev.com to help you out.

rolexdaytona 01-24-2008 08:24 PM

cool. I didn't think a universal player could be had at such a low price.

kennyt 01-25-2008 02:54 AM

Rolex,

Yu already have an SACD player in the PS3, the Arcam players are nice, a Linn Genki used goes for ~$800 and is another good choice if you like the British sound. the oppos will do everything for very little cash, a Rega Appoloo is another great player that is very highly regarded. It retails for $995 but likely can be found close to the $800 you want to spend.