Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Old 05-22-2008   #49

Default Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

The 70`s, how they are missed. Where is my Technics SL1200 MKII turntable with Stanton cartrifge??!! LOL!!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #50

I've spent some time on this one for some years now...

Favorite classic audio gear:

Gale GT-2101 turntable
Lecson AC1 Preamplifier
Lecson AP3 power amplifier
Lecson FM1 tuner
Gale GS401A speakers or Hill Plasmatronics 1A

Quad 57s in reserve.
emmaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #51

Threshold 400A class A amplifier
Paragon E tube preamp
Thorens TD-125 turntable
Rabco SL-8E straight line tracking tonearm
Grace 9F cartridge
Nakamichi Dragon cassette player/recorder
Dahlquist DQ-10A speakers
Janis W-1 subwoofer

Last edited by zOid; 05-22-2008 at 04:57 PM..
zOid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #52

Read the posts about the DQ-10s and had to offer my comments. In the late 70's and early 80's I had two sets, stacked. Saw it done by Jon Dahlquist at a CES show. Mine were mirrored, with upgraded caps and wiring. Powered by a Yamaha B-1 power amp, Marantz 7 pre, Linn LP-12, Grace arm, ADC cartridge. Custom built subs using JBL 15" drivers, built with the telephone assistance of a JBL engineer. Powered the woofers with a HK Citation 16. That system could produce goosebumps.

The DQs without question had one of best soundstages. I loved them. They would play plenty loud and image like crazy, but didn't really come to life at low levels. I found though, that they weren't the last word in resolution, which is why I moved on. My system now is substantially better, but it can't match the memories generated in front of the DQs!

Classic gear I've owned and remember fondly:
Dahlquist DQ-10s
Marantz 7
Yamaha B-1
HK Citation 16
Linn LP-12
VTL mono 160's
Quicksilver Mini Mono's
Proac Response 3.5
Mirage 1S
ML Ascent-i
Anthem LS-1
Audio Research LS3
Audio Research LS16
Conrad Johnson PV2a
Decca Mark V
Keith Monks tone arm (with liquid mercury contacts!)
McCormack DNA-1
jhidinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #53

Smile Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

Believe it or not, my love for hi fidelity started with a Pioneer 4 channel/quad tape deck in a 1968 Pontiac Catalina convertible. Ok, I know what you're all thinking, is this guy insane, has he lost marbles? Hi fidelity from a format that had more hiss that a leaking tire valve, and in a convertible that was noisier than a wind tunnel. Well, it was actually the four channel separation that got me hooked. It was a pretty decent unit and as a teen it gave me lots of enjoyment and to this day I still possess it with all my quad tapes. But this simple system started me on the road to great sound and my first major system (classic) was the:

Carver CT-17 Pre/Pro
Carver TFM-45 Power Amp
Carver Cb-15
Technics SL-P2 CD Player
JVC QLY-66F Turntable w/Grado gold MM Cartridge
Polk 2.3 SDA

Although the Carvers have been packed away for the last 7 years, they will re-emerge when my new house is completed, with a dedicated listening room. Still in use are my SDA's and the QLY-66F. RIP is the Technics.
lifamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #54

I had a few things over the years that looking back, I wish I had kept. Among them were:
Spica TC-50's
Aragon 2004 MK II (actually I had a prototype that sounded MUCH better than the production unit. When they found out I had it, they offered me a brand new MK II in trade; my unit was never supposed to have left their hands.)
NAD 3020
Naim NAIT
SOTA Star Sapphire (with a Magnepan Unitrac tonearm)
Apogee Centaur Minors

They were mostly budget components but some of them were revolutionary designs at the time.

I now own a pair of Meadowlark Kestral II's, which I love. I think I'll always hold onto these...

Last edited by Raven312; 05-22-2008 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: Typo
Raven312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1980, 2000, adcom565, axt, dq10, harmon, infinity, kardon, magnepan, paragon, pdf, preamp, receiver, unitrac, vsxd2s