Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Old 02-01-2008   #37

Default Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

Ah, these walks down memory lane (or is it 'Ouch?). My dad was a Navy musician in DC and I inherited, first in my early teens and then during college, a pair of Electrovoice rosewood-enclosed speakers (not sure the model, but they were 4-way, with a 12" woofer) and then a pair of AR2ax's. The ARs were the best-sounding stand-alones I'd heard for more than a decade--great bass response, crisp and clear highs--and my first speaker purchase was AR3s. As someone mentioned, the AR turntable was simple pleasure, and is waiting for rebirth in my album closet. The first amp I purchased was a JVC quad-surround that got me kicked out of my apartment with the 4 ARs in use. Deep inhale. Thanks for promptiing the memories.

By the way, a friend (in Maryland) had a pair of Baby Advents. We created a subwoofer out of one of my Dad's Electrovoices and blew some minds. Great sound and great fun.

Last edited by The Ear; 02-01-2008 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: Afterthought
The Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #38

Thumbs up Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

some of my old classsic favorites include the following items

1. Teac a4010s reel to reel which saved me thousands while in college. i rarely had to buy an album
2. Accuphase p300 power amp
3. niko beta 3 and gamma three
4. Infinity 2.5 reference standard speakers
5 old macintosh tube amps don't remember the numbers

all these pieces bring back good memories of an easy life in college with no money
mpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #39

My college system was an old HK PM 640 (I think) amp and I had the AR monitors then Infinity bookshelves and an Akai tape deck, later when I was a junior (1987) added a Philips CD player when they finally got below $300 that I could afford at the time. I later stepped up to the 80 wpc HK amp as a local store found some overseas and was dumping them for $265. That amp kept running until just a few years ago when I gave it to a friend and lost touch with him. For all I know it still works! The bass, treble and balance section screwed up and made horrible static if you didn't bypass it, but as you could, it wasn't a problem and the thing sounded great.

I went to a friends house recently and his wife had an old basic two channel rig and he asked if I could look at it, it took like three minutes to set up! I forgot how simple things used to be. Last time I tore down and rebuilt my rig it took an entire day!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #40

I watched American Psycho the other day and Christian Bales character had some of my old HK gear in it! It was cool to see the old system rockin' out to his maniacal descriptions of the music!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #41

I purchased a pair of Dahlquist DQ10's new in 1983, and they still sound fantastic. I use a Linn Sondek LP12 Valhalla turntable with a Linn Ekos arm and an Ortofon MC3000 MkII cartridge as my principle source. I have a modified Luxman R600E stereo amp as my pre-amp and I use an Australian Monitor AM1200 Quad professional road amp to drive the Dahlquists. The AM is a 4 x 300 watts into 4 ohms amp in a 2 RU case. I run the amp in bridge mode giving me 2 x 550 watts into 8 ohms. And it sounds wonderfully musical. I have a pair of English Gale Gold Monitor MkII's that I use for quiet listening occaisionally as the DQ10's don't really like an overall lower level. But crank the power and the Dahlquist's sing. And the soundstage. Nothing matches them. The only other "wet dream" piece of gear I long for would be a pair of Apogee Scintilla full range electrostatics. Sadly they will always remain beyond my reach. Believe it or not, I use a Sony Playstation MkI as an incredible sounding CD player. A friend put me onto this and I haven't looked back. I have read with interest on a number of web sites that a company called Regnar has resurrected the Dahlquist name and also supplies components to restore the DQ10's to better than new. Any comments please?
Duckmcdaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008   #42

I blew the hell out of a pair of Dalhquist DQ10's when I was 16. I bought them used at Sasafras in Montgomery, PA. I stopped off at Community Audio in my neighborhood and borrowed a B&K ST150 amp and ran right home. I popped in "Welcome to the Machine" but I wasn't really welcomed as the speakers blew to bits.

Being a 16 year old audiophile was tough but I got some cool points for owning neat speakers despite my need for volume/bass that they couldn't produce.
Sponsored Links

Tags
1980, 2000, adcom565, axt, dq10, harmon, infinity, kardon, magnepan, paragon, pdf, preamp, receiver, unitrac, vsxd2s