Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Old 01-30-2008   #31

Default Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Bought 25 reels with the Akai Reel to Reel from a 30 year Retiring Masteer Chief. Told me that the reels had music from a pub in England with live Beetles music...Before Ringo joined the group and include never before recorded music. Gave the reels to a friend in the Navy when he bought the recorder for his wife.
WOW! Those can never even be assessed for value!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
WOW! Those can never even be assessed for value!
Wisdom comes with age - we spend a lot of our lives thinking "I should've"! I punch myself over that one and even the NS-1000's that sell for over 1200.00 in good condition on Ebay! I always thought that the sounded good but I said they didn't have that much bass punch (young again). The Beatles music was recorded pretty good but you had bar noise in it. I never though how valuable that music would be - what wisdom age brings.
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #33

Well I still have much of my favorite classic gear. I drive my Infinity RS 2.5 speakers with a Moscode 600A hybrid amp. And up in my office my LWE IA speakers are still hooked to a Sony STR-7065A. At one time - for 15 years - I owned and ran a used stereo shop, and I saw almost everything, some of the ones that still are memorable to me are the McIntosh 275/C22/MR71 set I kept for a decade, the Tympani ID speakers, and even the amazing Sony TA-3200F power amp.
Alanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #34

Alanp,

Welcome to the forum!

I am amazed at how some of the older gear really stood the test of time. I sold my Proceed PCD3 as I feared it was getting old, it cost me three time what I got for it to come close to it's sound! Should have kept it...

Oh well, with age comes... something, can't remember what.....
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #35

My favorite pieces of classic gear are my two Altec Valencia studio monitors sitting in my bedroom. I got them from my father and have listened to them my whole life. They still sound awesome.
westcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #36

Good Morning,
My first post and glad to be here.
The classic I had a recent urge for were Baby Advents. So I found a pair in near perfect condition for $30. However, I think it might be adventageous to upgrade the woofers to rubber surround, given how foam wears out, although the surrounds are fine at the moment. Does anyone have any advice regarding which after market distributer might have a pair that will easily substitute without cross-over changes?
I was also considering upgrading the tweeters but upon paralleling a pair of Def. Tech 100s, the high end extended nice and cleanly (making the titanium tweeters sound like super-tweeters in comparison to the Baby Advents) as well as opening up the midrange with the fast little woofer. The only issue I had then was time alightment with the Def. Techs on the top and they went back and back until midrange smearing cleared and the highs fit better.
Also, I recently got hold of a near perfect Denon electronic Q61F turntable to which I added a Grado Silver I had on hand. This is a very clean sounding, perhaps a little to analytical, player (which the Grado warms up), but its timing is great for piano and violin, although most everything sounds good and the background is very quiet. Good ole Crag's list for both turntable and speakers.
The Classic I sold and wish I hadn't was a Yamaha 2000 turntable, although setting it up was interesting since it came with A Win strain gage and preamp.

Steve
Stevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1980, 2000, adcom565, axt, dq10, harmon, infinity, kardon, magnepan, paragon, pdf, preamp, receiver, unitrac, vsxd2s