Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Old 01-24-2008   #13

Default Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

Hi Lotus,

They still sound fantastic and look great after I refoomed the woofers. I have a total Mirage OM seris 5.1 setup as well and swap out my OM7's with the DQ10's until the wife says they have to go.

I have a two channel setup in my basement that runs the DQ10's. I also have the old Aerial 7's, not the newer B's, that I switch back and forth. I drive the 10's and the 7's, both amp hungry, with an old Mitsubishi DAC-15, 150 watt DC mono power amp that I bought in 1979 just to run the DQ10's. I'm sure I'd get better sound to upgrade but I've been happy with it since day one. This amp is a beast and looks neat compared to the boxed in looking amps.

People come over and see the DQ10's think the're some kind of TV's. Those that appreciate sound are amazed at what they can do. To supplement the bottom end I sometimes run my Mirage BPS400 sub which is very musical I think and the DQ10's sound even better.

Still have my vinyl collection that freaks friends out also. Supertramp - School was the 1st song I ever heard on the DQ10's and when company asks to hear the DQ10's I always play that album 1st. The opening has kids in the background that sound so life like on vinyl thru the DQ10's. I own 3 copies of this album and the CD.

I just sold my Anthem AVM2 to get into HDMI and I'm sorry I did. That was one great surround pre-amp. I replaced it with the Onkyo 805 that I use as a pre-amp replacement but does not sound anywhere near as good as the Anthem. Event thou I use the Onko as a pre-amp, loud music sounds harsh and strained. The Anthem / Rotel 1075 combo just kept going, smooth.

Have you ever heard the DQ10's?
pdjmwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #14

The closest thing I have to really classic gear is a Pioneer CT-WM62R Multi-Cassette Changer. It is a 6+1 cassette changer. It was difficult to come by back when I got it in the early 90's. It still has a place in my main system since, on a rare occasion, I'll have a cassette tape I need to listen to. I'll probably eventually move it out of the main system since I'll need the space for other things.

I do also have the Pioneer VSX-D2S Receiver and Pioneer PD-TM3 18-disc changer.
The VSX-D2S is one of, if not the first receiver to have GUI. It was set up to display GUI info. for both the CT-WM62R and PD-TM3.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #15

Thumbs up Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloneman View Post
I had a DC-300 long ago and miss it... We used it as a main in our band.

One of my best friends in college (Actually the low brass instructor there) had a pair of Carver Cubes and the Phase Linear Peak Unlimiter/Auto Correlator - these were connected to a pair Klipschorns. Those brought real excitement to recorded music. I bought my Sunfire Theatre Grand MK II A/V preamp and Signature Amplifier on a combination of an impressive audition and the strength of the Phase Linear and Carver equipment that preceded it. I have not been disappointed. As I stated in another forum, I wish Bob would come up with a more compelling reason to replace it with something newer from him (Aka another revolutionary thing I cannot live without that does everything I want).

I inherited those K-horns from him, and still enjoy them today. I am trying to pick up another pair plus a Belle or LaScala so I can match the sound for the rear and center of my system. The system is hilarious, since there is no way you can drive the K-horns to a level that can stress the Sunfire. (K-horns are only rated at 100 watts/400 watts peak, and my Sunfire produces 405 watts RMS X 5). I drive the tops with current mode to take some of the edge off, and the bottoms in voltage mode for tight bass.
Yes, Now we are talking, the old fan favorite, the Crown DC-300. Great sound, good tight bass, reliable to a T. A great amp. Glad you had a chance to enjoy them as well. That is good news on the Sunfire. They must drive the hell out of the Klipsch`s, they are so efficient. When you get the LaScala`s, your system should sound great.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjmwj View Post
I have a two channel setup in my basement that runs the DQ10's. I also have the old Aerial 7's, not the newer B's, that I switch back and forth. I drive the 10's and the 7's, both amp hungry, with an old Mitsubishi DAC-15, 150 watt DC mono power amp that I bought in 1979 just to run the DQ10's. I'm sure I'd get better sound to upgrade but I've been happy with it since day one. This amp is a beast and looks neat compared to the boxed in looking amps.
That's a classic setup! I bet it sounds pretty good too even with today's standards. I'm sorry to hear you downgraded so much to an Onkyo from Anthem. Arcam has a Pre-Pro with 1080p HDMI inputs that costs around $2,200 or so. I'd say give that a listen.

My father had DQ10s when I was a little kid. In HS I took them out of the garage and plugged them into the system I had in my room. I was floored by the sound quality upgrade from the Infinity speakers I had.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #17

I have an old pair of Mordaunt Short speakers which I got for next to nothing. I traded a piece of crap Magnasonic receiver for them. The guy obviously didn't know what they were worth.
slugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008   #18

Here's a link to our futuristic Lecson AC1/FM1/AP3 electronics driving Gale GS401As (with the chrome stands). Turntables are a Transcriptors Skeleton and a Gale GT 2101 with SME II Improved arm.

http://lecson-audio.googlegroups.com...hRMBSg7yl_ej5Q

We also have a Lecson Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/lecson-audio) which may be of interest to some folks.
emmaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1980, 2000, adcom565, axt, dq10, harmon, infinity, kardon, magnepan, paragon, pdf, preamp, receiver, unitrac, vsxd2s