Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008   #7
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 938
Default Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
FWIw the new ML subwoofers have a setting for matching to the CLX's, so they are coming, when is the question, and Andrew Robinson has been drooling since he heard of them....
I know all about the new subs. It's more carrot holding by Martin Logan. The first sub with it came out what 8 months ago?
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #8
Super Member
 
kennyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,422
Default Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

I think you might see them by CEDIA, we'll see.
__________________
Ken Taraszka, MD
Associate Editor
HomeTheaterReview
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #9
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mount Airy, MD
Posts: 4
Default Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

Dahlquist DQ10. Classic from the late 70's and 80's. I still own mine from 1977 and cannot bring myself to let them go. They still give me shivers whenever I listen to them. Piano is so life like. I've refurbished the woofers and need to do a complete overhaul someday. I now have them in my home theater.
pdjmwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #10
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 938
Default Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjmwj View Post
Dahlquist DQ10. Classic from the late 70's and 80's. I still own mine from 1977 and cannot bring myself to let them go. They still give me shivers whenever I listen to them. Piano is so life like. I've refurbished the woofers and need to do a complete overhaul someday. I now have them in my home theater.
Now this is a hell of a first post! The DQ10 is legendary! If memory serves they were one of if not the first to mess with what we now refer to as "time alignment," in speakers. I bet they still sound stunning after 30 years.

What do you drive them with? What do you use as a center?

You've really got my attention! What great speakers to still have!
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #11
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: White Plains, New York
Posts: 1,706
Thumbs up Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

Without question the old "Crown Amplifiers" Made here, sounded great, and were definitely virtually indestructible. Used by many deejays. Those amps should be resurrected.

And of course, huge power, built like a tank as well, know one knew him really then, Mr. bob Carver, but The Phase linear 700 power amp. Could play really loud with low distortion. And the Holographic preamp. A history maker, way way ahead of its time. And kennyt is right, I loved the Carver cube amp as well. He should make it again. Its small, full of power. Look what Bel Canto is doing!! It would fit where a Mark Levinson or Mcintosh could not.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #12
Super Moderator
 
kloneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 161
Default Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Without question the old "Crown Amplifiers" Made here, sounded great, and were definitely virtually indestructible. Used by many deejays. Those amps should be resurrected.
I had a DC-300 long ago and miss it... We used it as a main in our band.


Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
And of course, huge power, built like a tank as well, know one knew him really then, Mr. bob Carver, but The Phase linear 700 power amp. Could play really loud with low distortion. And the Holographic preamp. A history maker, way way ahead of its time. And kennyt is right, I loved the Carver cube amp as well. He should make it again. Its small, full of power. Look what Bel Canto is doing!! It would fit where a Mark Levinson or Mcintosh could not.
One of my best friends in college (Actually the low brass instructor there) had a pair of Carver Cubes and the Phase Linear Peak Unlimiter/Auto Correlator - these were connected to a pair Klipschorns. Those brought real excitement to recorded music. I bought my Sunfire Theatre Grand MK II A/V preamp and Signature Amplifier on a combination of an impressive audition and the strength of the Phase Linear and Carver equipment that preceded it. I have not been disappointed. As I stated in another forum, I wish Bob would come up with a more compelling reason to replace it with something newer from him (Aka another revolutionary thing I cannot live without that does everything I want).

I inherited those K-horns from him, and still enjoy them today. I am trying to pick up another pair plus a Belle or LaScala so I can match the sound for the rear and center of my system. The system is hilarious, since there is no way you can drive the K-horns to a level that can stress the Sunfire. (K-horns are only rated at 100 watts/400 watts peak, and my Sunfire produces 405 watts RMS X 5). I drive the tops with current mode to take some of the edge off, and the bottoms in voltage mode for tight bass.

Last edited by kloneman; 01-24-2008 at 09:00 AM..
kloneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply


Tags
1980, 2000, adcom565, axt, dq10, harmon, infinity, kardon, magnepan, paragon, pdf, preamp, receiver, unitrac, vsxd2s

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Favorite watch?? kennyt Off-Topic Posts 87 11-21-2011 05:35 PM
Favorite internet radio stations? TheMoose Off-Topic Posts 15 09-17-2008 03:22 AM
Favorite Beer? kennyt Off-Topic Posts 20 02-29-2008 06:58 PM
Classic Video Projector Reviews JerryDelColliano Video Projectors 0 09-01-2007 03:15 PM
Meridian Projector - my favorite component ever JerryDelColliano Video Projectors 0 07-23-2007 06:23 PM




SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1