Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Old 04-18-2010   #91

Default Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

My Robertson 6010 and 4010 Amps and my Kinergetics KCD40 CD player

Last edited by nickm; 04-18-2010 at 05:26 PM..
nickm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010   #92

hey friends my fac gear is cello......its really awsome and you can enjoy it too.
VTL wotan is also the ebst one....i suggest you guyes to try them and make your life full of fun
any further suggestions will be highly appreciated
bobkerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010   #93

I am currently using a 1959 Eico HF81 stereo integrated tube amplifier, which was rebuilt by Sams Audio in Montreal, into a 7-watt per channel triode design.

My main source is a Nakamichi Dragon CT Turntable with a Shure V15MRx cartridge.
The speakers currently in the system are definitely not Vintage audio - Wilson Audio Duettes, which according to their spec sheet require a minimum of 7 watts.

Digital sources come and go, as I am a high end audio dealer, and I try out various units in this system at home.
The best digital sound I have had so far came from a Krell Evolution 505 SACD/CD Player.

Cabling is normally very modestly priced, but I tried out some Nordost Valhalla cable recently - the whole system was wired with Nordost - Power Cords, Interconnects as well as Speaker Cables.
After a weekend of glorious listening, I returned to my usual cables, hoping the difference would be marginal. IT WAS NOT.
While I cannot justify close to $ 20k for cables in this system, I sure would do it if I could!

What what really amazes me is that this little vintage tube amp can produce the kind and quantity of sound that it does with the Wilson Duettes. There are times on some music when I would wish for a little more slam, but most of the time there is all the volume and bass that one could want and the sound is just beautiful.

Last edited by amhifi; 07-09-2010 at 10:05 AM..
amhifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010   #94

I watched American Psycho the other day and a old movie related with tha car!It was cool to see the old system rockin' out to his maniacal descriptions of the music!
cici1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011   #95

I have had an epiphany. In this forum here, we discuss some of the very best audio reproduction equipment ever manufactured. This gear is the pinnacle of audio excellence. For many of us, this is the no-compromise, exceptional gear that gives us such immense pleasure that we cannot imagine there being much else that would equal let alone surpass this equipment. Objects of our desire. Absolutely. But why? Why do we hold this gear in such high esteem?

Recently, one evening whilst listening to Handel's Coronation Anthems (Archiv 2534005) the sheer immensity of the sound stage's width and depth and definition of the whole production just swallowed me up into the music. I was lost in the whole of music and choir. I felt myself there, at Westminster Abbey, the high vaulted ceilings soaring overhead and the glorious music filling the space. The hairs stood up on end and shivers ran through my body. And this is what it should be all about. Not for the spec's or "the numbers", not for the thundering bass or definitive treble, but for the utter involvement in the music we are listening to. We should feel as though we are there. This is truly why I love my system so much. For the sheer unutterable pleasure of being involved in the music. For the thrills and chills as Janis Joplin goes hard at it with the Full Tilt Boogie Band, as MeatLoaf belts out "Bat Out Of Hell", as the Moody Blues reflect in"Late Night Lament", or as Mozart's "Ave Verum Corpus" gently lilts its haunting harmonies, we should be at one with the music. Yes, I confess I listen with a critical ear, but to lose myself for that all too brief time in a state of rapture is the whole reason for the gear.

Individually, each component is exceptional in its own right, but the whole is greater than the sum. It works together in a way that cannot be explained by any rational process, it just does. And it is so good. I sincerely trust that others have had this experience too. If not, put on a favourite piece, sit back and just listen. If it's good gear, well set up, then you too should feel the joy of real music at home. Joy for the music.
Duckmcdaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #96

Aragon 8008. The "V" vent in Aragons was a neat look.

Martin Logan CLS. An all electrostat solution from the hybrid guys.

VTL Wotan. A 1250 watt tube monoblock tube amp!?!?!? I like the sound of the new Siegfried but it's only 800 watts. Something about 1250 watts in a monoblock is uber cool.

Wadia 860 CD Player. Still possibly one of the best CD players I've ever heard.

Linn Sondek CD12. Like the Wadia... but still made today (I think).

How about KLH9s does anyone remember them?
jade30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1980, 2000, adcom565, axt, dq10, harmon, infinity, kardon, magnepan, paragon, pdf, preamp, receiver, unitrac, vsxd2s