Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Old 12-23-2008   #79

Default Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffer View Post
here is my classic audio setup that I purchased in Jan.1989. Bought this equipment straight off the showroom floor, at the CES show in LasVegas. Displayed at the Riviera Hotel. The Aragon amps were one of the first ever built with the green light on the on/off switch. The amps have since been upgraded to the MKII's. The system is still running flawlessly and never had any problems after all these years. They sound just as dynamic as the day I bought them. Money well spent.
(2) aragon 4004 mkII amps
(1) aragon 24k pre amp
Duntech Marquis loudspeakers (Australian light oak)
Analogic Design Group hyprid tube CD player ( Scott Nixon) designer
Audioquest only cables and interconnects

Thanks Duffer
Aragon, whata name from the past. Great amplifiers, what ever happened to them?
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #80

I'm still using a Threshold 400A amp with the Fuselier 2.5 speakers from a while back.. well a pretty good while back. I replaced a set of Tympani ID's with the little Fuseliers and expected to put the Tymps back up when I didn't have cat so interested in them. It never happened. The ex kept the cats, I sold the T1ds to a friend and still love the Threshold amp which is way over kill for the little Fuselier two ways. I keep thinking I need a tube amp but don't know what to go for..I'm also still using a Dynavector DV505 arm on a Denon direct drive TT. Is there a belt drive table that can handle this monstrous arm?
larrycsmith@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #81

Smile Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrycsmith@gmail.com View Post
I'm still using a Threshold 400A amp with the Fuselier 2.5 speakers from a while back.. well a pretty good while back. I replaced a set of Tympani ID's with the little Fuseliers and expected to put the Tymps back up when I didn't have cat so interested in them. It never happened. The ex kept the cats, I sold the T1ds to a friend and still love the Threshold amp which is way over kill for the little Fuselier two ways. I keep thinking I need a tube amp but don't know what to go for..I'm also still using a Dynavector DV505 arm on a Denon direct drive TT. Is there a belt drive table that can handle this monstrous arm?
Hmmm....Now we are talking, THRESHOLD. What great amplifiers. The sound, the bass, built like a tank, I was sorry to see them go. Loved the Threshold amps.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #82

They are built like tanks and the sound is very neutral. I use a Sony Dvp9000es with a Channel Island passive controller for SACD's with it. The sound is very clean and you're right the bass is fantastic.
larrycsmith@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #83

This will sound kind of crazy but...

When I was a 14-15 yrs old a friend of the family had some Dayton-Wright electrostatic speakers fed by a DW preamp, BEL Class A amp, and a reel to reel tape deck. This was around 1985. He also had a DBX 4bx expander, and a tuner and later a CD player (Yamaha).

The DW electrostats were huge monsters, with separate subwoofers, filled with SF6 gas...wow!

Anyway, the sound of that system totally ruined me for most speakers and setups and remains the "Gold Standard" that I use to this day...!

Some history on Dayton-Wright and their speakers:

http://www.audiocircuit.com/index.php?c=DAY#gen

http://www.dayton-wright.com/

That's my memory of classic equipment, but I didn't own it!
nevilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
The closest thing I have to really classic gear is a Pioneer CT-WM62R Multi-Cassette Changer. It is a 6+1 cassette changer. It was difficult to come by back when I got it in the early 90's. It still has a place in my main system since, on a rare occasion, I'll have a cassette tape I need to listen to. I'll probably eventually move it out of the main system since I'll need the space for other things.

I do also have the Pioneer VSX-D2S Receiver and Pioneer PD-TM3 18-disc changer.
The VSX-D2S is one of, if not the first receiver to have GUI. It was set up to display GUI info. for both the CT-WM62R and PD-TM3.
sorry to bring up an old thread but i found a pd tm3 for sale at a thrift store and was wondering if it was worth getting for 20$ after searching for reviews this was the only place to even have a reference for it
chafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1980, 2000, adcom565, axt, dq10, harmon, infinity, kardon, magnepan, paragon, pdf, preamp, receiver, unitrac, vsxd2s