Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Old 08-25-2008   #67

Default Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

Ugh - brings up 'bad" memories.
My largest regret is not having purchased one directly from Mark one day at his place in NY. My ex and I were there for dinner/demo of equipment and he offered us a used one at a more-than-fair price (make that half of more-than-fair). We chose a down-payment on a much-needed car instead. Sigh ... :-(
There are more than the occasional recording I wish I could just tweak a bit; especially CDs.
While we could by no means claim to knowing Mark, he was an incredible host; he and his daughter (about 15 at the time) preparing dinner and then all of us playing music (live instruments, not on the stereo) well into the late hours.
A rare and enjoyable evening.
Wonder if my ex ever thinks about it now and then (she has our original ML-7 preamp and ML-3 amp).
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #68

Unhappy Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

Had a bad experience this summer with my DQ10's. I've had them new since 1977 and have taken very good care of them. Woofers have been re-foamed. I don't listen to them all the time and swap them out with several other speakers I own. My system is in the basement and I store them in an unfinished area.

The area I store them in is next to the hot water heater. Long story short, one of the copper pipes at the top sprung three pin hole leaks. The leaks shot straight across the room and SMACK DAB INTO THE DQ10'S. Looking at the amount of water the leak must have been going on for a couple of days. They are ruined.

What's bad is I had the other pipe replaced a month earlier with the same issue only it missed them. Foolishly I did not move them.

Also lost a Denon turntable, the rose wood base model, a Yamaha integrated amp from 1976, and a Nakamicki cassette deck from 1978. I don't care about the exlectronics, but I feel like I lost my youth when the DQ10's were destroyed.
pdjmwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #69
wes

Victor

Victrola Victor Talking Machine
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #70

For me I wish I still had my McIntosh MX-130 pre/pro

HD-DVD & Blu-ray Owner

DTS-HD Master Audio & Uncompressed PCM Supporter

Last edited by Dave Moritz; 08-27-2008 at 02:55 PM..
Dave Moritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #71

For me:
ESS AMT1D's I've got a pair that I've had for about 28 years. I replaced the woofers from ESS about 4-5 years ago. Still very clean sounding and still slightly bright (which is why I liked them originally.)
bgcat57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjmwj View Post
Had a bad experience this summer with my DQ10's. I've had them new since 1977 and have taken very good care of them. Woofers have been re-foamed. I don't listen to them all the time and swap them out with several other speakers I own. My system is in the basement and I store them in an unfinished area.

The area I store them in is next to the hot water heater. Long story short, one of the copper pipes at the top sprung three pin hole leaks. The leaks shot straight across the room and SMACK DAB INTO THE DQ10'S. Looking at the amount of water the leak must have been going on for a couple of days. They are ruined.

What's bad is I had the other pipe replaced a month earlier with the same issue only it missed them. Foolishly I did not move them.

Also lost a Denon turntable, the rose wood base model, a Yamaha integrated amp from 1976, and a Nakamicki cassette deck from 1978. I don't care about the exlectronics, but I feel like I lost my youth when the DQ10's were destroyed.
OOOOWWWWW!!!!!

That story hurts to read! Maybe I should sell off some of my older gear before something like that happens to it!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1980, 2000, adcom565, axt, dq10, harmon, infinity, kardon, magnepan, paragon, pdf, preamp, receiver, unitrac, vsxd2s