Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Old 05-22-2008   #55

Default Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

My favorites audio gear, unfortunately I do not own anymore (kick me now somebody)

Mc Intosh Mc30 (Mono Blocks Tube Power Amplifier)
Mc Intosh Mc60 (Mono Blocks Tube Power Amplifier)
Leak Point One Stereo 20 (Stereo Tube Power Amplifier)
Leak Point One Stereo 50 (Stereo Tube Power Amplifier)
Dynaco Stereo 70 (Stereo Power Amplifier)
Dynaco Mark III (Mono Blocks Tube Power Amplifier)

Heathkit AA-100 (Integrated Tube Amplifier)

Mc Intosh C28 (Stereo Preamplifier)
Soundcraftmen PE2217 (Preamplifier-Equalizer)

KLH Model 19 (FM Tuner)
Dynaco FM5 (FM Tuner)
Fisher Model 80 (Mono FM Tube Tuner)

Altec-Lansing Voice of the Theater (Huge Speakers) ... I let them go 3 years ago
Wharfedale Model W60 (cabinets with sand-filled back panels)
Electro-Voice Patrician Mono (with a 30 inches woofer - it was my my father's when I was a kid)

Last edited by Mcintosh Man; 02-11-2010 at 09:32 PM..
Mcintosh Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #56

Back in college I lived in a moldy $30/month room in the basement of our frat house. Had a waterbed and my art collection was a giant map of the Mississippi River covering the wall.

But... I had double Advents (walnut) and a Dynaco Stereo 400 amp (with VU meters!) that I built from a kit. Philips 212 tt and Shure V-15III. The pre was a Pioneer Spec 1. I had a few of the non-science majors convinced that the big preamp volume knob was required because it was "geared low" to handle the 200 wpc power amp.

I later replaced the Spec 1 with a Quad 33 and the double Advents with Infinity 2000 AXT's. The AXT's had Walsh tweeters as opposed to the electrostatic 2000A's. I kept blowing the voice coils on the Walsh tweeters until I learned to rewind them with heavier wire. I did all the calculations of wire gauge/# turns/inductance/coil momentum, etc. They quit blowing but sounded like crap. I don't see how the AXT's could have shared the number 2000 with the A's. I'd still like to find a pair of the electrostats.

Post graduate apartment life brought Maggie MG-2's, DCM Time Windows and later some Tympani 1-D's. My then-girlfriend hated them because of their size, so I replaced them with Kef 104.2's, which I still have (with Sunfire sub). And yes, I married the girlfriend and she's still putting up with me 20 years later.

In the basement I have a pair of Snell Type C II's powered by an AES SET-1 tube amp with WE 300B tubes. Control is by an Adcom 565 preamp; sources are an Adcom cd changer and a Luxman turntable with Grado cartridge & Creek Audio pre-pre. This system still excites me more than the main HT system upstairs.

Jim
Merton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #57

LOVE IT!!!

Old Mac, Dynaco!! Awesome!

The first 'real' piece of high end audio gear I ever bought was a Pioneer integrated with 60 wpc and dual VU meters, powering home made speakers. I went up through the HK line of integrated amps, PM 640, PM 660 (If I remember right) and I had their EQ 8 (wish I had kept this!)

The first speakers my brother and I ever bought were Cerwin Vega's (didn't everyone own or know someone who owned a pair of these??) Huge woofers and horn tweeters, efficient and harsh as hell, but made for great volume in HS!

By high school I had gone through many of the small to mid sized AR and Infinity book shelf speakers and after my first year in college bought my JSE 1.0's that are still sitting in the spare bedroom. I even added a pair of JSE 1.8's just a few years ago, which are also sitting in the extra bedroom.

Maybe I should sell them off..... along with the other audio gear I have, maybe I should keep it for posterity (what ever that truly means).....
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #58

Thumbs up Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

It's nice to see Dahlquist speakers mentioned so highly here, as I sit in front of my 30yo pair of DQ-10s, listening to a Sonny Rollins SACD. I also have the Dahlquist DW1W sub hooked in. I lost most of equipment in a divorce, but I kicked and screamed and got my speakers out of the house before I left!! I've slowly rebuilt my system as a home theater, not to the highest audiophile standards, but it still sounds good with the DQ-10s as the centerpiece. I refoamed the woofers, and got the capacitor kit and new grill covers (the old ones were pretty stained and nasty) from Regnar, and I hope they go another 30 years.
RichFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008   #59

Smile Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zOid View Post
Threshold 400A class A amplifier
Paragon E tube preamp
Thorens TD-125 turntable
Rabco SL-8E straight line tracking tonearm
Grace 9F cartridge
Nakamichi Dragon cassette player/recorder
Dahlquist DQ-10A speakers
Janis W-1 subwoofer
My goodness, the Nakamichi Dragron. What a great cassette deck. I could not afford the dragron, so I had to settle for a top of the line Aiwa. Which honestly, worked out very well for me.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008   #60

Thumbs up Re: Favorite classic audio gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
LOVE IT!!!

Old Mac, Dynaco!! Awesome!

The first 'real' piece of high end audio gear I ever bought was a Pioneer integrated with 60 wpc and dual VU meters, powering home made speakers. I went up through the HK line of integrated amps, PM 640, PM 660 (If I remember right) and I had their EQ 8 (wish I had kept this!)

The first speakers my brother and I ever bought were Cerwin Vega's (didn't everyone own or know someone who owned a pair of these??) Huge woofers and horn tweeters, efficient and harsh as hell, but made for great volume in HS!

By high school I had gone through many of the small to mid sized AR and Infinity book shelf speakers and after my first year in college bought my JSE 1.0's that are still sitting in the spare bedroom. I even added a pair of JSE 1.8's just a few years ago, which are also sitting in the extra bedroom.

Maybe I should sell them off..... along with the other audio gear I have, maybe I should keep it for posterity (what ever that truly means).....

Never owned a pair kenny, but used quite a few of those Cerwin Vegas for deejaying purposes. For as you know, they can handle a lot of power, and the bass is what Cerwin Vega is known for.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1980, 2000, adcom565, axt, dq10, harmon, infinity, kardon, magnepan, paragon, pdf, preamp, receiver, unitrac, vsxd2s